1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons out at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiamiACC, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The link to the Bird steal and DJ layup provided within the column also shows details that are decidedly different from Simmons' seemingly in-depth analysis of the play.

DJ was not, in fact, already moving to the basket as the steal was happening. He was drifting, as was Dumars, in the other direction.

It was not a reverse layup.

Still an incredible play, but Simmons gets a little carried away with his praise of DJ's reactions.

2. And this has always been the thing about Simmons and "popular culture." His knowledge of it is really very narrow and extraordinarily shallow. Most of the people I know who really know popular culture know what they grew up with, and what came before. Casablanca as well as The Karate Kid, Chuck Berry as well as U2. Never understood that about his appeal.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For his final column perhaps he could perform fellatio on Jemele. It's a perfect match as we have learned from their work.

He likes to get out the knee pads for celebrities and she wants a man who is willing to travel south of the border. A match made in Bristol.

Be a memorable column.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thanks for the mental picture, Boomsie... I may never eat again...

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Me neither. I wonder how much of his appeal is being that one easy click on the front of ESPN. I'm not so positive his 'legions of fans' will seek him out if he moves some place a little less known.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Jemele is a dude????????????????

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

I hope Bill has a movie deal in place before he makes the jump. Otherwise, that's a tissue-thin career plan, kind of like planning on your kid becoming a major-leaguer to pay for your retirement. There's a bunch of money in Hollywood, but there are a bunch of broke writers out there, too.

And apropos of nothing, in my limited dealings with Bill, I liked him and wish him the best.

8. Says the guy stuck in a 60's time warp.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

More like the '80s. He relates to what he related to as a 15-year-old, and current 15-year-olds relate to that. Or not. Even one Pat Morita reference in 2007 is one too many.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I believe the correct term for oral on a woman comes from the guile of a recent tennis star.

Cunning Hingis.

Times have indeed changed. He is no longer fresh or entertaining enough to be worth seeking out.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

No one's had any fun with quote function on that one yet??

12. Oh, utter crap.
    I guarantee you -- I know more about popular culture before 1985 and after 1999 than he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted