1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons on "The Wrestler"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael Echan, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I know everyone here likes to rag on Simmons being a psuedo-journalist, but I think he does a bang-up job with his review of The Wrestler. He nicely points out how some roles can only be portrayed by one actor (and that you aren't able to say that until after the fact) and talks about how the wrestling industry goes through it's talent like a meat grinder. Not bad at all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3773747

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fenian should be here within the hour to tell you what an idiot you are.

I thought the review was great, I guess that makes me an idiot as well

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Generalize much?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did you read the other thread on this?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Several reviewers beat Simmons to the perfect-actor-for-the-perfect-role angle, as seen on www.rottentomatoes.com.

Joe Morgenstern of WSJ wrote that angle a week ago or more. It's no great critical insight on Simmons' part.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely.

Part was WRITTEN for Mickey, for heaven's sake.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Mickey Rooney. That's what makes it such an Oscar-worthy turn by Rourke.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Read the link on the other thread yesterday. It comes off like Simmons lost focus; that the first half of the review was the review and the second half was why he cannot watch professional wrestling in the aftermath of the Chris Benoit double murder-suicide.

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

As far as I'm concerned, Chris Benoit's escapades should have a lot less to do with him not watching wrestling than the fact that he's fucking almost 40 years old.

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I have a hard time reconciling Simmons' concern over the abuse Chris Benoit did to his body with Simmons showing his wrestling creds with his attendance at a show, where a guy took a 20-foot dive off the top of a cage. Talk about hypocritical.

11. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

I thought the review was fine. I don't know if there's any way to "nail" a review like that. I also think it sort of was two different stories; one about how blown away he was by Mickey Rourke's performance and two, about how he's moved on from wrestling and why; I do though, wish, that he might have began a discussion about why I've moved on, for the most part, from wrestling, because it was all right there, with the thumbtacks and staple description. Once a fake sport that did not dare let the cat out of the bag; it has become a fake sport that admits to everything, which has only served to raise the ante on the antics; which has ushered the ultra-hardcore wrestling sideshow. Oh, and Superfly jumped off the cage against Bob Backlund. Not the magnificent one.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When appearing together, two indicators which stamp "asshole" on the forehead of any columnist:

(1) Writing as if he/she, and he/she alone, discovered the subject at hand.

(2) Writing as if he/she is the sainted last word on said subject.

If the shoe fits . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted