1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 8, 2015.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Seems like a poor decision, so yes.

Inky_Wretch and Hermes like this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Also 10 years late so that the major players have already been decided and learned how to monetize them better, so definitely yes.

sgreenwell, wicked and jlee like this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Simmons is very good at getting out podcasts just hours after big events happen. I don't know anybody else who does it as well as the Ringer does. So even if they're not all that well done, he'll be talking about Anthony Davis wanting to be traded just a few hours after the news breaks.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agreed. And, I'm always amazed at how bad ESPN is at it.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't care for his style but Rich Eisen does a very good podcast.
    I read a statistic once that the vast majority of podcasts don't even make it six episodes. It is truly a beggar's game.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Get audiobooks from your library! Or a different library! I'm told you don't have to live in Cuyahoga County to get a library card, and their audiobook selection is amazing (Cuyahoga County Public Library - OverDrive)!

Hermes likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's a lot of work. How much sleep you get – four hours a night?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey, shouldn't I be the one promoting this??

But it is true. Ohio has a great library system. Any Ohio resident can get a card at any Ohio library ... though I think you gotta do it in person. But Overdrive and Hoopla are both great online resources for audiobooks that your library might subscribe to.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

About three. But I’m leaving the newspaper job next month so a little more sleep awaits me. Not too much with a screaming baby in the house, but a little more.

sgreenwell and Slacker like this.
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The article says the company has 15 million in revenue. If the company selling ads is taking a third that leaves 10 million to pay 100 employees salary and benefits, rent, travel, IT costs etc. While the Ringer may be profitable it is not rolling in profits. And some pretty high powered hosts (J.J. Redick, Larry Wilmore, et. al) must be working cheap.

I love the Ringer, listen to podcasts and hope it succeeds. But I did not believe everything Simmons said in the article.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That is one thing that puzzles me about podcasts in general. I listen to podcasts when I am on my exercise bike in the morning. I am unaware of anyone doing an NFL recap pod that is posted by 5:00 A.M. Monday morning. The Ringer NFL shows start to be posted on Tuesday.

Draft saved Draft deleted