1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons And The Hand That Feeds Him

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i go to work every day and bust my ass to make my company money.

my company should be happy to have someone who gives a shit working for them in these tough times.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

WFW. I can't believe how people undervalue themselves.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and the man swaggers a bit more every day because of those people.

god, i just hate it.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about a guy with a great job bitching about the job?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And I posted about good people losing their jobs through no fault of their own.

Maybe I just do not understand what "approach to life" you were talking about?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Hey wait a second. This is a "Simmons sucks" thread, not a "the economy sucks" thread.

Let's get back on point, please. Carry on.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with you, TP. "Cherish" your job? No, cherish your kids, your spouse, your friends, your memories. Do your job, value your job even.

But the willingness with which a lot of folks eat dirt from their jobs and their bosses emboldens those bosses, and the bosses' pals who are bosses, into thinking that everyone is willing to eat similar dirt.

Too many of the people owning and running our joints aren't worthy of being dignified by having us work for them. Not the way they're ruining careers and still lining their pockets. In our profession more than many, people with talent and passion are getting rode roughshod over by money grubbers who can't carry our jocks, in terms of what drives us vs. them and who actually presses the flesh of and for the people we cover.

(And no, I'm not drunk as I write this. :p )

Then there's Simmons sniping at ESPN, and my sense that they deserve each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted