1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Rhoden makes me puke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Dec 9, 2006.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Frank,

Obviously, we are talking past each other on a number of issues.

My purpose of posting about Vick on this thread is to express an opinion that, maybe, certain columnists have a certain resposniblity and ethic to write about certain topics. Rhoden has been so into Vick, you'd think they were related. After 6 years of lauding the man as the greatest athelte tyo play the position, the most exciting player every to take a snap from center and his holier than thou racial crusade, I premised that he would not have the balls to touch the latest Vick subject, but merely find a few other columns to write about, even though Vick has been a favorite choice for years.

I hope he writes about the Giants new-GM, about why Dungy is treated differently than Schottenheimer even though they both have had many many opprtunities to get to the Super Bowl and haven't gone. I'm sure I'll see a Rhoden article on why Bonds failure to get a contract completed with SF is racist with no mention of JD Drew's similar problems with the Red Sox. Which is the topic of the thread, Rhoden makes me puke

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is Rhoden column on Vick from early Dec . We now know that Vick must have been speaking with Michael Irvin for guidance.

December 2, 2006
    SPORTS OF THE TIMES; 2 Quarterbacks Have Path Split By Expectations
    By WILLIAM C. RHODEN
    Two N.F.L. cities, New York and Atlanta; two young quarterbacks, Eli Manning and Michael Vick, under siege.

The Giants and the Atlanta Falcons are in turmoil, whether it be player against player or coach's father against player. Michael Strahan, the Giants' injured defensive end, publicly challenges a teammate to step up to the plate. In Atlanta, the head coach's father calls the quarterback ''a coach killer.'' Not a bad week, even by N.F.L. standards.

Manning's reaction to the Giants' dysfunction, their three-game losing streak and the criticism he has taken, has been casual, to put it mildly. Outwardly at least, Manning doesn't seem to be torn up by the Giants' losing streak or the role he has played in facilitating it.

Vick, on the other hand, is upset. And the nation knows about it.

Last Sunday, Vick made an obscene gesture to Atlanta fans after a blowout loss at home to New Orleans. Vick apologized, accepted a $10,000 fine and agreed to contribute another $10,000 to charity. Late last week, Jim Mora Sr., the father of Falcons Coach Jim Mora, cited Vick's passing difficulties and agreed with a radio host who called Vick ''a coach killer.''

At times like these, young players need someone to provide sage advice and perspective. Manning can pick up the phone and call big brother Peyton, who plays for the Colts, or he can call his father, Archie, who played quarterback in the N.F.L.

Who can Vick call?

No one in the history of modern football has played quarterback the way Vick plays the position. He is a latter-day pioneer. At any given time, Vick may be the fastest player on the field or the best athlete, or have the strongest arm.

Who can Vick call to gain some perspective? Late Thursday evening, it hit me: Vick should call George Taliaferro.

Taliaferro was the Michael Vick of his day -- and then some. He passed, he ran, he punted. He returned punts, kickoffs, played every position in the secondary.

''I played football wherever football needed to be played,'' Taliaferro, 79, said yesterday from his home in Bloomington, Ind.

I asked Taliaferro what he would say to Vick if he called him.

''The first thing I will tell him is, 'Mike, you care, and as long as you care, you are going to be fodder for criticism,' '' Taliaferro said. '' 'When you get to the point where you don't care, you will not be any good to yourself, to the football team. You are the present-day Jackie Robinson, Paul Robeson, Ray Robinson -- all of these people were people who really cared about what was going on. And they put themselves in harm's way, just to make sure that people like me would be inspired to do the very best that we could be. And that's all you can do.' ''

He added: ''Michael has to understand that he is the subject of ridicule because he is blessed with talent and the ability to execute. But he's only half of the equation. He can't throw it and catch it.''

Taliaferro was a single-wing tailback. The tailback was the star of the show; the quarterback blocked. The tailback took the snap from center and decided whether to run, pass or kick. Taliaferro was a three-time all-American at Indiana University, the only player in the college's history to be named an all-American in every season he played football: 1945, 1947 and 1948 (he served in the military in 1946). In 1945, Taliaferro led Indiana to its only undefeated Big Ten title.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

These were excruciating times for African-Americans, and no one was spared. Despite Taliaferro's skill, he suffered slings and arrows that Vick cannot begin to imagine.

''All during my years here, I was never fully accepted and or appreciated as a human being,'' he said. ''I was what the Constitution described as three-fifths of a human being.''

In 1949, Taliaferro became the first African-American to be drafted by an N.F.L. team when the Chicago Bears made him their 13th-round pick. Instead, he played with the Los Angeles Dons of the All-America Football Conference, with whom he already had an agreement. He moved to the N.F.L. the next year, where he played with the New York Yanks from 1950-51, the Dallas Texans in 1952, the Baltimore Colts from 1953-54 and the Philadelphia Eagles in 1955. He went to the Pro Bowl in 1951, '52, and '53. He was inducted into the Indiana Hall of Fame in June.

Taliaferro would be a great mentor for a player like Vick. He was a superstar before the term was invented, and he responded to slights with victories.

''I would love to just share with him what I have had the opportunity to experience in my life,'' Taliaferro said.

I suppose that Eli Manning can afford to be relaxed. No one is expecting him to redefine a position or break any molds. The Giants want him to manage the game and not lose it. Vick, 26, is only a year older than Manning, but he faces extraordinary expectations.

''Michael Vick has the weight of the world on his shoulders,'' Taliaferro said. ''What Vick is at any time in history is the best that a football player can be. Defensive coordinators are having fits, and all they can do is pay homage to the Almighty that Vick does not have a set of dedicated receivers. If he did, that team would be one for the ages.''

Eli Manning will eventually be a good quarterback; he's on time.

Michael Vick's problem is that he's ahead of his time.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

William Rhoden's problem is that he is behind the times, though The Times seems to be behind him, despite his lack of depth.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Miami police: No pot in Vick’s water bottle

By Erika Beras and Evan S. Benn
    McClatchy Newspapers
    (MCT)
    MIAMI — It wasn’t pot.
    Prosecutors will not file charges on Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick after a test for drugs came up negative on a water bottle Vick left at Miami International Airport last week.
    The Miami-Dade police crime lab determined no drugs were present in a 20-ounce Aquafina bottle Vick carried with him Wednesday while trying to board a flight from Miami to Atlanta. The state attorney’s office confirmed it would not file charges.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

An aside: The definition of chutzpah is heyabbott calling anyone one-dimensional regarding what they comment about.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm just kind of curious how I got dragged into it. I don't think I've posted on this thread at all, mostly because I don't read the all too predictable Rhoden, or pay for Times Select. But I can't tell if I was complimented, or labeled as a knucklehead.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

I certainly can't say I predicted it would turn out Vick was innocent, but Bill Rhoden would have had to backtrack if he had rushed to judgment the way you wanted him to and skewered Vick.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Thing is though, I don't recall ever commenting on this latest incident. I mean, I think Vick is overrated and is just skating by on his natural ability, and I've joked around with my friends about it, but I looked back at this thread and the other one and never even saw a post from myself. And granted, I didn't expect Vick to be innocent either, but this was just an instant where I rolled my eyes. Maybe you confused me with someone else? I'm not mad, just baffled.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Oh, shit, sorry. On further review I confused you with heyabbott.

Draft saved Draft deleted