1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Kipouras, RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.salemnews.com/sports/x1927836668/Long-time-Salem-News-sportswriter-Kipouras-passes-away-at-74

He spent 50 years in the business. He covered some pros, but did some great work on local high school stuff. I've only talked to him a few times, but he seemed like a good guy to me.
    He was one of the more respected and well-liked writers north of Boston.
    I didn't know him well, so this is all I can really say about it. I hope there's somebody else here who knew him better and I could make a better post about him than I did.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Aw, shit.

Bill was the first person to chew me out in this business. It was well-deserved, but at the time I didn't take it too well.

RIP to a good newspaperman.

3. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

When I was starting out in the early 90s, I sent a resume and cover letter to dozens of papers in Mass. and R.I., hoping to at least get some stringing work. I followed up with calls and got nothing.

When I got Kipper on the line, he said sorry, they also had no openings, even for stringers. I said OK, but then asked as usual if he minded if I called back in a month or so to check again.

He paused, must have looked again at my name on the resume, and asked, "Are you Greek?"

I said yes. He said, "Can you be here Tuesday?"

So I started stringing and got my first daily newspaper bylines.

RIP Kipper. And thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted