1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Cunningham plans to "Peel the bark off" Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 27, 2008.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Except that once the Republicans (ie, Nixon) won, they escalated the war into Cambodia. IIRC, It was only after Nixon had been in office for a couple of years that they actually began to get out of there. And given how quickly the Viet Cong overran the South as soon as we got out of Dodge, the GOP didn't look so hot then either.

The problem then, as now, was that we got ourselves into that mess in the first place, and that we did so working under very faulty assumptions. And there's now no way out that can be called a "win."

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I guess tonight is my night to be completely misunderstood each time I post.

My question was directed at the bolded portion of his post.

3. Article VI, Section 3.
    "...no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
    We do live in a country where you don't have to be a Christian to be elected.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I also live in a country where fear-mongering about anything the general public is unfamliar with sells pretty well. Guy, do you think this becomes a non-issue, or does the GOP try to play it to the hilt without attributing it directly to McCain?

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Never trust anyone under 30, DD. Thankfully, there are no idiots in the younger generation.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Why do you think that Pally? I feel the same way, but am curious to your reasoning.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, right.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seriously. I'd like to understand why you feel that way.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't. There are plenty of idiots in the younger set. Many more than occupy the "older" demographic, IMO. Just chalk it up to the whole living and learning thing. Put it this way: I'm a lot smarter than I was 10 years ago, but 10 years ago, I thought I was much smarter than I am today.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, yeah, I'd like to think I've learnt a lot in the last 10 years, although that may not be the case, see the USA Olympic food thread.

But does younger people thinking they're smarter than they actually are mean that they're going to dismiss this kind of attack?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Guy, maybe my statement was a bit strong, but what I essentially mean is that with the potential exception of a Jewish candidate, I simply cannot fathom an avowed non-Christian (even an atheist) winning the presidency.
    All the candidates, to varying degrees of course, have featured their Christianity.

I could be wrong...heck, we have an African-American and a woman as the top two candidates in one party. I just think with all the speculation (regardless of the fact that it's false) around him, his chances would diminish even if he suggested that Christianity shouldn't be a requirement to winning the presidency. I don't know, maybe I'm being too cynical, but I can't help thinking that right now.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I meant the rally was recent, within the last month. Not tha the called him Osama recently - although he has called him that previously.

Sorry for the confusion.

Draft saved Draft deleted