1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Cowher's coaching status

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 27, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let me guess. Parcells?

2. outofplace

But does he want to deal with the headcases in New York? (Shockey, Burress, even Manning in his own way)

It sure looked like one reason the Steelers let Burress leave in the first place was because Cowher was tired of his crap. Malcontents rarely seem to last long on one of Cowher's teams. They either shut up or move on.

I also think it depends a little on what Cowher's real reasons are for wanting to leave the Steelers. Is it burnout? Then maybe he takes a year or two off no matter what the offer is.

If it is a really as simple as wanting to spend more time with the family, including his wife and daughter in Raleigh, then you would think he would be gone at least until his youngest goes off to college.

Maybe part of it is just wanting a different challenge. Then going somewhere else as soon as possible makes more sense.

That said, the Steelers should play hardball with any team that wants Cowher for 2007. He's a hall of fame coach one year removed from a Super Bowl victory.

I'm not sure a Gruden-like haul is realistic once Cowher says he's leaving, but it should be more than the Chiefs had to pay for Vermeil. Remember, this is a young guy who could still be coaching for a long time.

3. Kable

Kable Member

Bump...because it's sure to come any day, hour, minute, or second as of now...

4. outofplace

Not so sure about that. Last I heard, he wants to wait a week, though the Steelers may want sooner so their top replacement candidates (Whisenhunt, Grimm and Rivera) are still available.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, I believe he's holding off an "announcement" until next week.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Especially since Whisenhunt appears to be a candidate for the Cards and Falcons.

7. Kable

Kable Member

Good idea. Don't want to make too rash of a decision. He should take his time. Ask family members. Eat some good ol' barbecue down here in NC. Then, make a decision.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My theory is that Whisenhunt turned down the Raiders job last year because he probably knew Cowher might walk away this season. I would think Whisenhunt would be the favorite to be the Steelers' next coach.

I like the idea of Norm Chow leaving the Titans to coach Leinart once again with the Cardinals.

9. outofplace

Still, Whisenhunt might not be able to resist an offer to coach the Falcons. I believe he is an Atlanta native. He also played his pro career there and began his NFL coaching career with the Falcons.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

In that case, it's Russ Grimm. Either way, I would be shocked if the third Steelers coach in my lifetime wasn't already on staff there.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wonder why there hasn't been more talk about this.
    Tuna could come back, be the savior and buy the groceries.
    Then six weeks in, everyone would remember that the old days under the big man weren't always great.

12. outofplace

I still think they want to look outside, no matter what the players keep saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted