1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Cowher's coaching status

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Chicken salad, please to meet chickenshit. Recall when Seattle beat Detroit 9-6 on opening day and Roy Williams said that they were so close to putting 40 points on the Seahawks. Yeah.

Martz has been there one year. I can't believe I'm defending this old woman. He's a kook, all right, but I think he could be imaginative with a rare talent and a reasonably talented offense that shows very little creativity or consistency.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe it's time to consider that Cowher's future could be succeeding Tom Coughlin in New Jersey.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If he does, it won't be in 2007. Cowher's under contract through next season, and I doubt the Steelers would sign off to allow Cowher to coach anywhere else in the league next season should he walk away.

If he coaches anywhere in 2007, it will be with the Steelers, finishing his contract. But I could easily see him taking time off and doing some studio work until another good situation presents itself someday.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Heard two very interestig popssibilites to succeed Coughlin tonight.. both of which would cost the Giants some draft picks.
    Cowher was one.
    This, of course, is contingent on Giants not making the playoffs. If they win in Washington on Saturday night, Coughlin is safe for another year... with some staff changes

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Steelers could block that, S-P. Still a year left on Cowher's deal. Pittsburgh could deal with a simple resignation and a year somewhere off on an island to ponder the next move, but IIRC, the Steelers could hold the last year of that deal over his head if he were doing this strictly for a move to the Meadowlands.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's the twist Sam... The feeling is Cowher's walking away next week, regardless.
    The Giants aren't quite sure what they're doing becuase Acorsi is retiring as GM and there could be a whole new look there.
    So Cowher walks. Coughlin gets canned. A month later, Giants get a new GM and ask Steelers about possible compensation if they want to talk to Cowher.
    All very above board because that is the legacy of Wellington Mara that his family will uphold.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

S-P, agreed that Cowher's walking away. Otherwise, he would make it clear that he's staying.

Now if the Giants and Steelers can agree on compensation - a draft pick or two - then it makes perfect sense. You would think a team formerly owned by Wellington Mara and another by the Rooneys could put together a pretty under-the-radar deal.

I'm with the theory.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just to start speculation as to what the Giants might have to pay the Steelers, should they want Cowher in 2007 ...

The Bucs paid the Raiders two first-round picks, a second-round pick and a third-round pick to get Jon Gruden. Oh, and $8 million cash.

The Chiefs paid second- and third-round picks for Dick Vermeil when faced with tampering charges by the Rams.

The Chiefs paid only a fourth-round pick for Herm Edwards, though, last year when the Jets -- for some reason -- chose not to file tampering charges with the lead with they should have gotten more in return.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Jets wanted Herm to go, Oz.
    The Steelers have no choice in Cowher leaving, only question is if they want to keep him from coaching next year.
    The whole Giants thing is major speculation. Coughlin's pretty much guaranteed to stay if they beat the Skins and make the playoffs.
    The other silly coach talk about NJ is really far more interesting.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know the Jets wanted Herm to go, but that doesn't mean they should have accepted only a fourth-round pick. Play some hardball, get at least two picks from the Chiefs. Make them sweat it out some.

As for Cowher, the Steelers probably won't him coach anywhere in the NFL next year without compensation. Give up some picks and sure they would let him coach elsewhere. If he wants time away, fine with that too.

The Giants make sense, too, given that his daughters attend Princeton and that a major reason he would want some time away is to watch them play hoops. That job would allow him to balance work with his family.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Christ, Oz, why does it always have to be about the Steelers? :)

12. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I like that idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted