1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Cowher's coaching status

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's OK by me. It's something I would have done when I was 16 years old, too.

There is a more than valid case for negligent officiating in that game that your brethren have acknowledged. (You have not). If you want to give it another run, then say so.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Besides, I think it's me that does more of the Steelers-related threadjacking. :)

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

LJB, why revisit history? We would only run in circles 20 times over again.

And for the record, I did acknowledge that the refs blew some calls. That wasn't the best-called game. But it's hardly the only reason the Seahawks lost that game. As poorly as the Steelers played that day, the Seahawks were worse.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What the hell has he done in the past 5 years that would lead you to believe that??

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fine. You think the fix was in? Go do a story on it or STFU already. The Steelers won. We're nearly through the following season and they have already been dethroned. Learn to deal with it already.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Cowher wants things done his way, on his terms. He ran off a GM in Pittsburgh in a power struggle. He is not the type to go recruiting, he is not the type to attend booster functions, he is not the type to play all the political games that go with navigating a major football program's administration.

He'll take next season off, maybe work TV, then write his own NFL ticket with a five-year deal somewhere for many dollars and complete control.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can't speak for LJB, but I know one reason for me -- Jon Kitna. A career 59 percent passer, he's up to 62 percent this season and should top 4,000 yards. Granted, he's got 21 picks, but it's enough for me to think Vick could get some much needed help from that system, given that's he's got far more talent.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Starman, Marc Bulger, for one. He mined that ore and developed him. He's still rough around the edges but not a bad player at all.

Mike Furrey. (It's a stretch, but still). The guy was a safety and he's had a very respectable year with a shit quarterback. You have to throw anything to do with the Lions out of the equation.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Never!

10. Herbert Anchovy

It's what I do. [James Earl Jones voice]

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Empty numbers. Nothing but cotton candy and hot air.

Oh no you don't. At least 47% of the idiocy on the Lions' sidelines this year (time outs all burned with 12 minutes to go in the game, not knowing whether to go for it on 4th down or not, idiotic replay challenges, repeated false-start and delay-of-game penalties because Mr. Wizard hasn't been able to teach the stupid players how to line up and run his nuclear-quantum-physics plays) comes right back in Martz' lap. Of course, Marinelli, at least theoretically, is supposed to be the "head coach," so he gets a little more of the blame, but not much.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I think Mike Holmgren has ruined the coach/GM combo in the NFL. If someone with his credentials fails at it, I think it's a long, long time before anyone tries it again.

Draft saved Draft deleted