1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin receives 2011 Spink Award

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Dec 7, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"Top of the heap" = "I think the world of all four but for my taste, I prefer Conlin and Bodley."

I think Drip is allowed an opinion, and it is not like he is trashing the other writers.

And for the record, I'll wager Buckweaver's savant-like baseball knowledge against anyone.:)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Never said he was. He complimented Conlin here, and I recalled from a previous thread that he was a big Conlin admirer. I don't really know much about Conlin except he has a spotty Hall of Fame voting record.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wanted to see Bob Elliott get in. One of my mentors.

And, I'd take Buster Olney over Conlin.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

@ dick - Right, you don't know much about him so stay quiet until you learn more.
    @eliotte - Buster has won me over with his zest and enthusiasm for the game.

5. Dick Whitman

Where did I criticize him?

Also, I will probably just go ahead and post when I want and on what topics and not wait for your signal.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Post all you want. I encourage it. I prefer you don't try to strike up an argument with me until you get your facts straight. Your first post was inaccurate.

7. Dick Whitman

I didn't strike up an argument with you, paranoid. I noted that you have been a consistent supporter of Conlin.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF? Paranoid? Ok, whatever.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Drip, you asked him to provide you with proof of where you said something and he did. What are you arguing about?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Remarkable how quickly Whitman could find the exact "quote" he was talking about from 9 months ago.
    Stalking Drip much, Dick? So you save everything he posts to use in a future argument?

11. Dick Whitman

I have no idea why that particular argument on that particular thread stuck with me. Probably because I've seen Conlin ripped on here before, and it was notable that he was being praised.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I consider Bill Conlin as both a colleague and a friend. I have long admired his work and am pleased he's being rewarded. I've admired his work probably longer than you've been alive. Those of us who have covered baseball or have been around him know first hand about his knowledge of the game.
    There are things he has written or said that I haven't agreed with but I don't think there is anyone who would say that he isn't worthy of the award.

Draft saved Draft deleted