1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike Share Programs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 26, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Again, I hope they didn't waste any tax money on this. Money that could have been better used to improve existing infrastructure and mass transit.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the money will be recouped through all of the high fees, but that's strictly a guess. The costs and the time limits make it sound like a disincentive to use the program.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tourists who probably don't carry bike helmets on vacation, and may find themselves over their heads (so to speak) trying to get around on a bike in NYC (even with bike lanes). It's inevitable that someone's gonna split their melon on one of these bikes, then things may get interesting.

EDIT: I see in that NYT story where the city comptroller wants a helmet requirement. Can't argue with the sentiment, but impossible to execute.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Does your city have one?" was part of YF's post.

My answer was "yes".

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They took away parking! They took away parking! I've already got a bike! And it's nicer than these! And they took away parking!

Good grief someone please call the whaaaaambulance.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If I lived in a high-traffic area with limited parking and they took away parking spots for fucking bikes that nobody's going to use, I'd probably be pissed too.

That's an incredibly stupid decision and shitty use of tax money.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Bike share program in downtown Kansas City. Not sure if it's been a huge success, but I'd like to try it this summer. Very inexpensive

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The one in London did take a hit when they put the prices up, but generally it's been pretty successful. One of the biggest issues has been that there aren't enough docking stations where people actually want to go -- so you ride from the train station to work, for example, and the stations near work are all full.

But as far as I know, these programs have been pretty successful everywhere they've been tried, despite the clunkiness of the bikes and everything else. They're not aimed at serious cyclists; they're aimed at people who might become bike commuters but aren't prepared to commit to it, or at occasional riders, or even at serious cyclists who don't want to lug their bike on the train, find a place to lock it up, worry about it being stolen, etc.

And, as an added bonus, it offers something to complain about for the I-hate-everything crowd.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Live around here, with its unique challenges, and you might feel differently. A parking spot can cost upward of $400 a month in my immediate neighborhood. It is extremely difficult to park a car around here. Anytime they take away spots -- whether it is the 5 movies and TV shows that seem to be simultaneously shooting on any given day and taking away hundreds of spots (no hyperbole on this one), or because they stuck a bike rack into a place you could have gotten three cars into -- it rankles people.

In the case of my neighborhood, they loaded it up with bike racks not to serve the people who live here, but because it is a heavy tourist area. There are more bike racks around here than other places I have been -- and they didn't even put in bikes above 59th Street, which are the real residential areas in Manhattan.

I accept that comes with the territory of where I choose to live, but I don't have to be all jolly about it. And it's not whining to point out reality. It's clear the purpose of this program is not to actually service the citizens of NY. Which is probably smart, because if the object is to make money, they are not going to that way. They loaded up touristy areas with bikes and are non-existent in the main residential areas. At the same time, though, it effects the people who live here day in and day out.

I strongly suspect at least in my immediate neighborhood, it isn't going to get much use by the actual people who live around here. This is a walking / public transportation city to get around locally. There is a segment of people who hop on a bike to get around. Those people own bikes. It's not going to be the best economic decision, given the cost and the limitations (you are on the clock, even though you paid an annual fee) for most people who are serious about riding a bike for transportation to go about it this way.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Spend tax money on mass transit? Sounds pretty commie-pinko to me.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Parking = $400
    Cycling = Free

Hmmm, I wonder if there's an economic lesson in that?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Real good lesson there. ::) Whenever I have to be in Northern Jersey or on Long Island or in Philadelphia, I flip a coin to decide between hopping in the car or getting on a bike.

Draft saved Draft deleted