1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike Share Programs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 26, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New York City's begins tomorrow:

Will it be successful? Does your city have one? Do you wish your city had one?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Madistan -- also known as Madison, Wis. -- has one. The Bikes look like those huge, ugly monstrosities from the Leave It To Beaver era. Can't imagine they're much good for getting you up to speed.

The reason this will fail is very simple: Anyone who wants to bike to where they're going already does so on their own much-better bike.

exmediahack likes this.
  3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This will fail miserably. I hope they didn't waste any tax money on this.

That said, I'm sure some New York street entrepreneurs will make a little cash re-selling stolen bikes.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Toronto has a Bixi Bike program, as does Montreal, Ottawa & London, England. Here's the site:

https://toronto.bixi.com/

5. Armchair_QB

That's great but we're talking about New York.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Don't be a dick.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Other cities experiences are interesting too.

Now, another city's experience might not translate to New York, but it's still interesting.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver has a hugely successful and popular bike-sharing system. Of course, it's fraught with cyclists who think they own the road and don't have to obey street signs. But people love it, but that's a given since Colorado is probably the most bike-crazed state in the union.

http://denver.bcycle.com/

9. Armchair_QB

That's not surprising and it makes sense there even if it's not practical to bike around for three to four months of the year.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They do shut down the program in the winter, but the most underrated part of Denver is the weather and I've ridden my bike around the city many, many times in the winter. It's a complete misnomer that Denver (and actually the entire state) gets locked in snow/ice-wise when the first flakes fall in October (which is good because it keeps most of the riff-raf out, but that's been changing over the years). As I've said many times, I've worn shorts in February and a heavy jacket in June.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They stuck those bike racks all over my neighborhood. There is one right outside my building. In some spots, they took away parking for them -- in an area it was already impossible to park. And they already had an incident in which they were trying to get a guy on a stretcher from his building to an ambulance, and the bike rack got in the way.

I have no idea if this will be successful, but if it is, it is going to be due to tourists (there are a lot of them in my neighborhood, which is why they loaded up the area with the bike racks).

An annual membership is more than $100 with tax, and if you keep the bike for more than 45 minutes you pay extra. That seems silly expensive to me for access to crappy bikes that are ugly, billboards on wheels for Citibank. I own a bike. I can ride it wherever and whenever I want and not have to feel like I am on the clock.

12. ringer

ringer Active Member

If it's more expensive than the subway, you constantly have to watch the clock to make sure you're not over the allotted 1/2 hour and there aren't even racks uptown... so what's the point?

Locals would be better off on a skateboard, imo.

Draft saved Draft deleted