1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike people are the worst

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That Uber case was a weird one. The car knew it was about to mow down the woman with the bike -- it just couldn't do anything about it. The company had shut off all of the safety systems designed to avoid a collision or warn the human behind the wheel. The human was watching TV on her phone.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

In both this case and the one with your friend, the hitting is one thing. The running is another. Leaving someone you've hurt to die in a ditch takes a a special kind of soullessness. (At least I hope it's special.) These people should be charged with murder.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

All of these stories are maddening and sad. Just couldn't imagine hitting another human being and speeding off like nothing happened. Unreal.

Will probably bike down to happy hour this evening. My radar is up more than usual. There was a discussion of the strobe light thing way earlier in this thread, and I understand the sentiment about the brightness of it. But when I ride at night, I have a light on the front of the bike, two on the back and one attached to the back of my helmet. Point being, if I get hit, it's not going to be because someone doesn't see me.

HC likes this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't recall it being abrupt and the guy was much farther back from my blind spot.

When I looked up the law it made some sense. A driver should not cut in front of a bicyclist after overtaking him/her, but most drivers probably aren't checking their right when making a turn or parking.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

No words of wisdom that anyone else hasn't already said. I am sorry for the people who are without loved ones today.

Anyone who has seen a group of cyclists in training in the distance on a country road early in the morning and not felt glad to have had that moment is missing something inside.

Anyone who refuses to own they might need to allow for time so they don't run late or at least understand that it's hard to get the cosmos to remember its lines is missing something between their ears. This includes asshats who won't get on the interstate and complain about the Amish people who wait until after ten am to get on country roads to accomodate those who have to drive to work in Nashville, Franklin, or Bowling Green.

Draft saved Draft deleted