1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest Super Bowl MVP snub

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 27, 2008.

?

Yeah... yeah... yeah... Neil O'Donnell, hands down! Now that we have that out of the system...

1. Max McGee, Packers, I (7 catches, 138 yards, two spectacular TDs)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Matt Snell, Jets, III (121 rushing yards, Jets' only TD)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Rod Martin, Raiders, XV (three interceptions, one fumble recovery)

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. James Washington, Cowboys, XXVIII (11 tackles, forced fumble, interception, fumble return for tying

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'd have voted for Dominic Rhodes in XLI. He rushed for more than 100 yards and had a touchdown, plus at least one catch.

Manning threw for 247 yards and a TD but had two turnovers.

But Manning was getting it regardless.

EDIT: Sorry, bostonbred. Replied before I read the thread. And, for the record, I don't mean Rhodes is the biggest snub, just one of many.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I know it sounds ridiculous when you look at the numbers, but I thought Roger Craig was MVP-worthy in XIX. The guy was everywhere Montana needed him to be and scored three TDs.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm not talking about the lemming nature of writers, Michael.

On merit, Namath had no business getting that hardware.

4. Simon_Cowbell

First, no, Rhodes did not deserve the award.

Throwing the ball in that downpour was had a high level of difficulty. Plus, Manning made an incredible play to get the pass to Reggie Wayne for the TD.

If anyone possibly deserves MVP consideration in XXXVI over Brady, it would have been Vrabel, who caused the pick-six and was everywhere.

But I consider Brady a legit MVP in absence of real competition there. Like Staubach in VI and Starr in II.

5. Simon_Cowbell

I just didn't want to get into that stupid semantical pile-of-crap argument again.... so I left him off.

But while he isn't as big a snub as Washington, he is a snub.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

It helped Manning on that TD pass that no one covered Wayne.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jerry Rice in the second Niners-Bengals Super Bowl? I know he was cheesed about being snubbed in one of the Super Bowls.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

He was the MVP in that game.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

With all due respect, OOP . . there is no "Boo Hoo" here. It's so easy to be a Steelers fan, to strut around with "One for the THUMB!!!" garbage 20 years after the glory years, when the team couldn't win a damn AFC title game at home. Then they break through - finally - and the game is a poorly played one, Pittsburgh's hopes saved by Antwaan Randle El and a great Willie Parker run.

And Seahawks fans, who have never seen their team accomplish anything close to this, just watched their team lose in a winnable game. I forgot how bad some of the calls were in the game, with Hasselbeck's "block" when he was trying to make a tackle maybe the worst non Tuck Rule call I have seen in an NFL game. I know I thought of that damn Tuck Rule moment at least once a day for a year, until the Raiders reached the Super Bowl. I still think of it as the moment that ushered in the Patriots' run. I understand now that he Raiders failed on 2nd-and-2, but it's still a tough thing for a fan of sports to take.

Before you get all smarmy and say "Boo Hoo," ask yourself how many times you replayed O'Donnell's two stupid INTs in your head, wondering if the Football Gods would ever bless you with another Super Bowl. Be honest, now.

Your team won it. Congratulations. Responding/gloating whenever someone points out that your team also benefited from some horrid calls invites people to say "That OOP is an asshole."

You're a Steelers fan. Act like you're been there before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_to_officiating_in_Super_Bowl_XL

Ahem: Thurman Thomas should not have made the list, but he's one I always hear about as a reader of Dr. Z. I voted for Rod Martin.

10. Mike Vrabel against Carolina was rather a snub.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Piotr, that is one way to look at it. And I really read it closely out of respect for you, as we are usually pretty cool with one another.

I have watched the Steelers lose when I felt they got screwed by officials. I have also seen them come up short in heartbreaking fashion.

But to still be whining about officiating two years after the fact? To claim that the officials were the MVPs of the game? It's childish and sad and he needs to grow up.

I have sympathy for some Seahawks fans. It's got to be frustrating to see your team play that badly on the big stage. But this whining is old and stupid and I'm going to make fun of LJB every single time he does it.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

We're still cool, as far as I'm concerned. I just think that the Super Bowl is the type of crushing loss a fan takes a while to get over.

I went to college with a few Steelers fans, and they often lamented the O'Donnell picks. Some didn't, but those were the ones who naively assume the team will get back any year now, forgetting the 16-season drought between appearances. Those guys would curse Larry Brown often and loudly. Their joy at the win two years ago was unbridled.

It's a tough loss to take, the toughest of all. And it's not necessary to laugh at those who were unfortunate enough to root for a lesser team.

Unless it's the Chiefs or Chargers.

Draft saved Draft deleted