1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest laughing-stock in pro sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 12, 2007.

?

Which of these teams should be demoted/disbanded/contracted because every level of their operation i

1. Oakland Raiders

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. New York Knicks

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Florida Marlins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chicago Blackhawks

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Atlanta Hawks/Thrashers

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Detriot Lions

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. Los Angeles Clippers

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Kansas City Royals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Tampa Bay Devil Rays

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  10. Cleveland Browns

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  11. Baltimore Orioles

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Pittsburgh Pirates

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And still missing the correct answer: The Arizona Cardinals

6 total franchise postseason appearances. Consider that the Lions, a listed competitor for this title, went 6 times in the 90s

1, yes, that's right--1 postseason victory in the last 60 years

Overall suckitude: franchise record of 453 - 659 - 38.

Recent suckitude: Since 1978, a total of 4 winning seasons and 24 losing seasons, with 18 of those having 10 losses or more.

You can't get much betterworse than that

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Knicks are blowing the roof off the salary cap to be hapless.
    The Pirates just don't have (as) much cash.
    This is not close. It's NYK by a mile.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Interesting, Junkie. It's probably a d_b, but how do you feel about the Charlie Frye selection-ejection? And isn't a team management that makes money and can't figure out how to cash in for the fans, if not a laughing stock, at least a legitimate object of derision?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They do not have the biggest fan club in the world, but otherwise some intersting arguments.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you cannot get a decent retro jersey for a team, I think they should be considered.

Does anyone want a Lancaster Gordon or a Benoit Benjamin?

How about a Ben Greive?

6. 93Devil

Steelers

And just to solidify this, could you please find a thread that has been jacked by Browns fans?

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't know where it is, but we jacked one a while back. It became a thread about Browns songs. Fantastic.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Indians fans jumped off the wagon earlier this decade, and the sellout streak snapped. Didn't the crowds fall into the 20,000s during a few of those lean years?

9. 93Devil

Pittsburgh did have 1999 and 1998, and 85 and 86, but for 35 years or so, this team has been in the playoff mix.

I know what I see in the South, and I never see anything Brown on the back of a car or on a shirt.

I'm curious? How did the Browns get their name? It isn't the same guy who started the Bengals is it? If so, how in the world did that happen? And is that the same Modell in Baltimore that used to own the Browns? It's just so boring having one family own a team and run it nearly flawless for three decades.

Where do you guys keep all the Super Bowl trophies? When I go to Cleveland, I can never find them.

All kidding aside, I am envious of the Indians. I wish the Pirates were half as smart as the Tribe with prospects and drafts.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Can't be so, until chaw is outlawed for good.

11. 93Devil

One thing I did notice last Sunday was how empty Cleveland's stadium was in the fourth quarter.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Junkie, if you want to talk about a specific fan club, then maybe. I don't know of one big fan club for the Steelers. But no team travels like the Steelers, and this goes back well before the recent Super Bowl victory.

In terms of following at home and all over the United States, the Browns don't have the following the Steelers have and it hasn't been close in my lifetime (35 years). That includes the 26-year period between Super Bowl victories for the Steelers.

Yes, attendance is lousy for the Pirates. Pittsburgh is not a good baseball town. Never has been. That would never happen to the Steelers. Football is too large a part of the culture in that city.

And are you seriously going to argue that Cleveland fans have never abandoned a losing team? If you are going to stick to that foolishness, you are beyond hope on this topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted