1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest first-round upset?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Indeed ... when Arkansas is a 12 it's hard to call a win over a 5 an upset.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Who knows if you're right or wrong, but I'd wager that if we revisit this thought on Friday night, and again on Sunday, there will be evidence to the contrary. I can't remember a tournament ever where there weren't a fair amount of early upsets, and it's never really ease to pick them, that's the beauty. I think it was last year that Thursday was one of the weakest opening rounds of the tourney I can remember -- few upsets and buzzer-beaters -- and then Friday things picked up and it ended up making up for Thursday and then some. Point is, there's always upsets.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Here are your 11 seeds and above winning round 1:

Holy Cross over Southern Illinois
    Winthrop over ND
    GW over Vandy

And possibly, Arkansas.

I, too, don't see a lot of upsets happening and have bracketed a tourney that will play close to form in terms of seeding. Which is why I will likely be throwing said brackets in the trash by early evening on Thursday.

4. WS

WS Member

anyone else think NMSU has a chance to beat Texas?

I like ORU over Washington State, but I don't see Washington STate getting past round 2 anyway
    Also like ODU, Winthrop to win

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Having seen the kind of mad defense the Great Danes play, the scare they gave top seed UConn last year, and their ability to win at the Catamount House, I like Albany as my upset pick.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

No. [/Texas fangirl looser]

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Go, almost alma mater!

8. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

You're probably right about Miami being a bunch of grinders, but I would argue that Washington State plays a similar style in the Pac-10 and is more talented to boot, and the Ducks beat them twice...I wouldn't underestimate the Pac-10 teams this year. This is a better league than a lot of people think, and certainly a lot more than UCLA and Arizona.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm glad to see some others are seeing the free-fall that Pitt is in. From what I've been reading around the country the last few days, it's as if Saturday night's Big East final never happened, or that it didn't mean anything.

Pitt is sooooooo vulnerable. It could very well lose to Wright State.

10. The funny part about Pitt's seding is in recent years past, I thought Pitt kinda got shafted with their seeding. This year, they were WAY overseeded. They were a five-seed at best. I think they will beat wright state, but I have a hard tiem believeign they will beat Duke, even with Duke playing as they have.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

See, I don't think it will play close to the seeding because so many teams were overvalued or undervalued, meaning that the upsets will still be there. I just don't think the Cinderellas will make George Mason-like runs.

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

potential:

13 Holy Cross
    13 Davidson
    11 GW
    12 Illinois
    11 Winthrop

Draft saved Draft deleted