1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest first-round upset?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't think the Hogs will win, but they don't have 12-seed talent, that's for damn sure. Quick guards, athletic swingmen, good big men with great size ... they have the pieces for a run.

But then they have Stan Heath ...

2. Stan Heath had a hand in Michigan State's Final Four teams and took Kent State to the Elite Eight. What's so bad about him?

3. Hammer Pants

Nothing if you enjoy underachieving basketball teams.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, ODU beating Butler wouldn't be an upset, but still.

Others I'm strongly considering:

New Mexico State (over Texas)
    Stanford (over Louisville)
    Albany (over Virginia)
    Illinois (over Virginia Tech)
    Winthrop (over Notre Dame)

5. So what he has done at Arkansas erases what he did at previous stops?

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Find it hilarious that so many of the prominent upset picks involve Pac-10 schools ... Wazzu, USC and Oregon ... or teams 2, 3 and 4 in the nation's third best conference, which has fewer OOC losses than any other in America. The conference's contract with FSN and that it is almost truly never on national TV has to be responsible.

I'll be surprised if all six teams don't advance past the first round, but admit that I am a bit of a Pac-10 homer right now. The biggest at-risk team, IMO, is Arizona, as they are incredibly inconsistent and Purdue can exploit that.

On the ORU over Wazzu thing, I know it's more respect for ORU than disrespect for the Cougs, but as a Wazzu fanboy I like the fact that one of the nation's best defensive teams drew an ORU team that coughs the ball up more than 15 times a game in the Mid-Con. </Cougar fanboy>

7. Hammer Pants

Not at all. But is sucking at Arkansas OK because he didn't suck at his previous stops?

8. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

they were Izzo's teams - he was an assistant, no? Izzo should get the credit, not Heath
    with Gary Waters' players....

Just sayin'....

9. John

John Well-Known Member

If Beverley is hot, Arkansas can win one or two games. That guy's amazing when he's on.

10. Hammer Pants

The frontcourt CAN be really good, too.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Lester, I couldn't agree more. The Pac-10 gets shat upon yearly. Unless you're UCLA or Arizona, you rarely get any respect in the Pac-10.
    Washington State is legit. So is Oregon. Duke will lose to VCU before Washington State will fall to Oral Roberts. Also, is a 12 over a 5 really an upset anymore? Happens every year, at least 1 or 2 12s beat a 5....

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's my upset pick. This year all the 5s beat the 12s.

Draft saved Draft deleted