1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest first-round upset?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Was Memphis a one seed last year? Damn. I could have sworn it was UCLA.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

No freaking way Wisconsin loses to TAMCC.

And while Pitt sucks and Gray is softer than toilet paper, they ain't losing that early. I have them losing to Duke in the next round, but Wright State won't beat them.

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Memphis was the 1. UCLA's regular season last year was strikingly similar to their's this year--they looked like they'd be a 1 most of the season until dropping a couple late ones and getting the West's 2 seed instead--perhaps extending that parrallel means another final four run. Your point was nearly correct, though, that UNTIL last year there'd been no final fours without a No. 1 seed going back to 1980.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Plus, did you see the team on CBS yesterday? They were all running to the camera holding up their index finger.

Winthrop is gonna get throttled...even though I hate Notre Dame and think the team sucks.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The "everyone's talking about it" theory didn't apply when Vermont went out and beat Syracuse.

I think ND goes down here.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Or when UW-Milwaukee took out Oklahoma last year. Same matchup ... 6 vs. 11.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

After further contemplation on the matter, I think Old Dominion has a great chance to beat Butler. That wouldn’t even be a huge upset in my mind.

And how about one that nobody’s mentioning … Am I the only one who could see Penn push Texas A&M to the final minutes before falling? Penn can be really frustrating to play.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Anyone who's seen Butler play in the last month knows that ODU should be favored in that game. Butler earned that 5 seed in November ... not January and February.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm not sold on Oregon, but Miami (Ohio) wouldn't have even sniffed the tournament if not for that backboard three.

Does Wright State have a defense like Georgetown's? If not, I see Pitt scoring 80+ points ... when on, the Panthers have as dangerous offense as anyone (especially if Ramon is hitting his threes).

I'd love to see VCU beat Duke.

I don't know why, but I'm thinking Albany over Virginia.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I really like Davidson over Maryland, just not enough to mess my bracket up if it doesn't work. I think if Maryland gets past Davidson, they'll sail past the Old Dominion-Butler winner.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I guess you could say this about a lot of mid-majors, but Davidson is really scary when it hits 3s, and sometimes everyone on the floor can hit an open one. That Curry kid can score. And if they get ahead, the team shoots 75 percent from the free-throw line.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like this one as well... The team that the people bitch the most about making the field is usually good for a win... Missouri did that a few years back as a No. 12 as well...

I also like Holy Cross over SIU...

Draft saved Draft deleted