1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest first-round upset?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I have Ga Tech in the sweet 16. But there don't appear to be too many upsets this year. Illinois over Va Tech. Creighton over Nevada. Some middle round upsets are more likely I think.

2. I agree. Oral Roberts is a huge fraud as a potential upsetter (is that word?) ORU only beat Kansas because some dude went off and hit his first seven 3-pointers. I think the guy averaged 7 to 8 points this season. (Vealy maybe?)

Also, why is nobody mentioning Winthrop? In additin to Winthrop being a great team, Notre Dame also is a fraud. Don't believe me? Go look at the Irish' non-conference victories. You'll laugh out loud.

Anyway, maybe nobody is mentioning Winthrop because they don't consider 11 over 6 to be a big upset.
    In that case, my contribution is Davidson over Maryland.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My theory is that it's too obvious a pick to mention it, because everyone's been talking about Winthrop already.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think Wright State over Pitt is a possibility. I also think it will be a bloody first round for the SEC. Florida is the only lock; Vandy and UK are both ripe and Arkansas, as a 12 seed, believe it or not may be looking past USC to Texas.

I'll take Texas Tech over BC in a 10-7 game.

I think A&M is an Elite Eight team with Acie Law. Maybe further since the regional is in San Antonio.

I thought last year Oral Roberts could've been the one to pull a 16-1 upset. Didn't happen, but as a 14 seed I think they can beat Wazzu.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I have four of the SEC teams advancing and Kentucky getting beat.
    I toyed with the idea of North Texas shocking Memphis, but then crack I was smoking wore off and went with the Tigers.
    Has the NCAA ever had a tourney where none of the No. 1 seeds made it?

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Was talking to an assistant from Murray State last night during the selection show at a tournament. He said A&M-CC would pull an upset if they weren't seeded 16.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't think Wisconsin is scaring anyone. I'll go out on a limb and go with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think at least one No. 1 seed has made every Final Four since the field was expanded to 64. The 1980 Final Four, I think, was the last one when no top seeds made it.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

I think Oregon will beat Miami (Ohio) but the Redhawks will wear their ass out. The Ducks better bring the lunch pails because they haven't played anyone who plays harder than Miami. Talk about a bunch of grinders.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's been five years since a 15 beat a 2... the timing is ripe, for sure. Still, not sold on A&M-CC winning. Alando Tucker is just too good ...

11. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Uhhh, no Freelancer, it actually occurred FAR more recently than that, and I'm actually surprised neither of you guys know this. The last final four with no No. 1 seeds was LAST YEAR. UCLA and Florida were 2 and 3 seeds respectively last year, and GMU and LSU obviously lower than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted