1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest failures

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bill Horton, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Toe Nash.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That Vikings team broke records and they didn't just beat teams, they kicked the fucking shit out of them. And they lost the game on a missed FG after their kicker had gone something like 38-for-38 during the regular season. In their own building, the loudest in the league. That's failure.

I would consider the 1990 Bills and 1991 Bills failures because they were heads and shoulders better than the teams that beat them.

3. JackS

JackS Guest

You're sort of making my point for me with those facts. In the preseason, no one expected the Vikings to go 15-1 and an old kicker to be perfect all year. Preseason expectations is part of the original question. Those were greatly exceeded, despite the heartbreaking end to the season.

4. Stupid

Stupid Member

again, the failure of the rankings seems greater than that of either the '95 Duke team or the '02 Tar Heels.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jack, I understand your point. But there was no one in midseason 1998 who didn't think the Vikings would go to the Super Bowl. And there certainly wasn't anyone in his right mind who thought the Falcons would. Expectations get adjusted as soon as the games shift from paper to the field. "Expectations" is an artificial construct.

6. JackS

JackS Guest

Maybe so, but it doesn't change the fact that they were expected to do much better.  Anyway, those were just examples off the top of my head that would be the kind of candidates to answer the original question.  I wasn't proposing they were the best examples.

7. sportsbuff72

sportsbuff72 New Member

Derrick Coleman, Could've been the greatest power forward ever, he had all of the tools except one.........WILL.

8. BG

BG Member

Just this past season Michigan State's basketball team was a pre-season top 10 team coming off a Final Four with veteran upperclassmen like Paul Davis, Shannon Brown and Mo Ager. They were favored to win a B10 championship and many people predicted they'd be back in the FF. They ended up going .500 in conference play and got bounced early by George Mason.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

No, no Jeff George is misunderstood. He would have been one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time if only the Colts, Falcons, Raiders, Vikings, Redskins, Seahawks or Bears would have given him a fair shake. [/whitlock]

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Before Game 1 of the 2004 World Series I'm standing at Gate D on Yawkey Way.....this lady walks up to me and says I have to let her in,....I ask "why do I need to do that?" ......."Because I'm Jeff George's mother!!!" After I stopped laughing and realized she was serious, I calmly told her that Jeff George carries no weight here, try that line on someone in St.Louis for game 3.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

When you go 15-1 and then can't beat the Falcons at home in the NFC title game, you've failed Jack.

They're fucking choking dogs.

12. JackS

JackS Guest

Atlanta's record was 14-2.

Draft saved Draft deleted