1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest Choke in Sports History

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, May 4, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I know it was only Game 6 and they still played a Game 7, but Dave Henderson's HR off Donnie Moore in the 86 ALCS between the Red Sox and Angels. Sorry to Brian Downing if he's an SportsJournalists.com member.

And then, in a twist of fate, Russ Ortiz being handed a game ball from Dusty Baker in the 2002 World Series against the Angels ...

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Red Sox '86

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dusty Baker doesn't choke. Choke implies one has the knowledge or ability to win in the first place. Dusty can be outsmarted on an elementary school playground.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Torre using Weaver against Florida

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is what I was getting at, however, I think you can say the Mavericks choked away one of the greatest regular season's ever. Or they collapsed. Either way, both the 04 Yankees and the 06-07 Mavericks shit down their legs when it mattered most.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Oilers would not have lost that game if not for the horseshit no-call on Beebe.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Agree. It's not a choke just because you lose.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I totally agree in that regard. Weak-kneed performance by the Mavs (and the Yanks, who've never been the same since) and certainly a waste of their regular season.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Here's the biggest choker ...

[​IMG]

10. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What about this guy?

[​IMG]

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member