1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest "beat 'em up" CFB cupcake payouts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt Stephens, Dec 14, 2012.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

What part of it's not the FBS schools' responsibility to fund the FCS athletics departments don't you understand? They'd have to figure it out. But, I guess it's OK for the kids to be embarrassed in a 70-3 game because the school is gonna get a million bucks. That type of logic is what's wrong with NCAA sports. All about the money. If there's a bigger hypocritical entity than the NCAA, I don't know of it.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If the on way way for these FCS schools to survive is to pocket seven figures for a 70-point blowout every year, then maybe they shouldn't survive.

The last couple years, Missouri State has played 2 payday ass-blastings per season - at Oregon and Arkansas 2 years ago and at Kansas State and Louisville this season. How well do you think that prepared them for their season?

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Will SportsJournalists.com receive a "This story also included reporting from . . " credit in the Coloradoan?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who said it was the FBS schools' responsibility? It's a mutually beneficial transaction.

And occasionally, Appalachian State happens.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What part of how the NCAA process works don't you understand? Apparently all of it.

The legislative process would involve all Division I schools - FBS and FCS. The FCS schools will never vote to outlaw these games and they outnumber the FBS schools.

And the FBS schools will continue to schedule them because everybody wants at least seven home games a year.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Also correct. Florida, for example, won't schedule the extra "BIG" game because most FBS teams want and need a home-and-home. Florida's athletic budget depends on so many games per year in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Florida makes way more than it pays out for the cupcake game.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not so much. Tennessee won 47-7.

But is an agreement to move a previously schedule game the same thing as scheduling a new game?

8. RonClements

"What part of how the NCAA process works don't you understand? Apparently all of it.

The legislative process would involve all Division I schools - FBS and FCS. The FCS schools will never vote to outlaw these games and they outnumber the FBS schools. "

This I know. Doesn't mean I think it's right. It is unfortunately a sad truth.

Nobody gets better from these games. Neither team. And the fans, while they might show up, think they're a joke.

9. RonClements

Here, here.

10. RonClements

I was thinking of the 2008 game, which Wyoming did win in Knoxville.

And I have no problem with an FBS underdog knocking off an FBS school from an "elite" conference. It's what Division I college football should be.

What's even worse is when D-I basketball schools play Division II and, sometimes even, NAIA schools. that's disgraceful. Over 350 D-I hoops schools and they've got to schedule a patsy from a lower level to embarrass just to record one more victory? I hate it in every sport and at every level.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just don't watch that portion of the schedule then.

It sounds like none of the stakeholders have a real problem with this but you don't like your entertainment being tarnished.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There's no purity in any game beyond tag.

Draft saved Draft deleted