1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest baseball collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 1, 2007.

?

Simple: who had the biggest choke-job in baseball history?

1. '07 Mets

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. '04 Yankees (ALCS)

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. '03 Red Sox (ALCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. '03 Cubs (NLCS)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. '95 Angels

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. '93 Phillies (World Series)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. '88 Mets (NLCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. '86 Angels (ALCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. '86 Red Sox (World Series)

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. '84 Cubs (NLCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. '78 Red Sox

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  12. '69 Cubs

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  13. '64 Phillies

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  14. '51 Dodgers (Shot Heard 'Round the World)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Awesome. That was a helluva team to watch, much as they broke my heart in '92.

2. boots

boots New Member

Buck, I'm not speaking from google or some other search engine, I'm speaking from first-hand knowledge. Fregosi lived and died with Williams true but in that game there was no one left in the pen. He went with his trump and you know the rest of the story.

3. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

im pretty sure that game didn't have real players (with the exception of griffey)

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Boots, i'm not speaking from google either. Fregosi had at least two fresh arms left in his bullpen -- Bobby Thigpen and Ben Rivera -- and two starters who were rested -- Tommy Greene and Danny Jackson. He went to "Wild Thing" not because he didn't have anyone left but because Williams was his best guy.

Unless you can provide a definitive example of your "first-hand knowledge," I don't know what else to tell you. He had other pitchers to use -- but for good reason, he used his best pitcher. It didn't work out; that's baseball.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I remember those teams quite well. The first World Series I remember watching was in 1991, but I kept score during the '92 and '93 playoffs in a notebook, while sitting three feet from the television, wearing my blue Mets hat. Those were some great moments in my life.

And the Griffey game had real players wearing their numbers, but only Griffey was named correctly. Every other team had themes. For instance, the Royals were all named after presidents -- "Bush," "Clinton" and "Roosevelt." The Yankees' players were named former New York legends, like "Y. Clipper" and "I. Horse." ...

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Griffey wasn't nearly as cool as Roger Clemens MVP Baseball for the NES. It contained actual spring training 1991 rosters, but it didn't have a licensing agreement with MLB so their names were jumbled juuuuuust a bit off their real names.

For instance, David Justice was "D. Judge," Ron Gant was "G. Ronnie," and Jeff Treadway was "T. Jeffway". :D

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I never knew that. My friend and I spent hours resetting all our rosters, slightly before the Internet, using old lineup cards that came with another Super Nintendo game, MLBPA Baseball. The frustrating part of that whole process was there's no guarantee the game won't be reset at any point, losing any season you're playing, along with the players' names. In fact, it was really just a matter of when it would be erased.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

quote author=Elliotte Friedman link=topic=47685.msg1426787#msg1426787 date=1191369826]
    Henke was gone after 1992. Ward was given the closer's job -- which he deserved -- but Henke was disappointed he wasn't offered to be the set-up man. He said he would have gladly switched roles.

He re-joined the Rangers (who originally lost him to Toronto) for two seasons, and finished second in the NL in saves during his final year -- 1995 in St. Louis.
    [/quote]

I should've looked it up. only one ring for Henke, but far better postseason stats than Williams.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/henketo01.shtml

9. cjericho

Tor was definitely a heavy favorite. Williams giving up the HR was similar to Donnie Moore, although not as
    tragic. Both were brutal losses, but the favorite won both times. The Phillies were Schilling and several average to below
    average pitchers who had their best years. I still don't know how Mulholland got the win and Williams the save
    in Game Two. I remember watching Larry Anderson come in and thinking most guys on Sunday morning softball
    teams are in better shape.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How about Toronto's 15-14, come-from-behind win in Game 4? What a ballgame, there. Williams also got the loss in that game, coming in to protect a three-run lead and promptly giving up a two-run single to Rickey Henderson and a two-run triple to Devon White.

11. cjericho

that was an insane game. henderson, alomar and devo.
    possibly/probably the greatest leadoff hitter ever, the best
    No. 2 batter (even though he batted third a lot) for a long time
    and top 5 all around for several years and a guy who would lead
    off for almost any other team.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember listening to that game during one of my first-ever layout nights at school.

I was so sure the Jays would close it out in Game Five that I didn't even bother watching the game. Imagine my shock when I was flipping channels around 11 and there's Curt Schilling, throwing gas and shutting out a team that was 24 h ours removed from scoring 15 runs.

Two nights later, I went to a dance club near home with a girl with whom I was hoping to become the Harry to her Sally. The DJ said "The Toronto Blue Jays just won the World Series" and I was like, cool. I was not so happy when we got in the car and heard the highlights, nor later in the semester, when I realized we were never hooking up and that our near-dalliance had nuked the friendship.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Mets suck. Biggest collapse ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted