1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest baseball collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 1, 2007.

?

Simple: who had the biggest choke-job in baseball history?

1. '07 Mets

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. '04 Yankees (ALCS)

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. '03 Red Sox (ALCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. '03 Cubs (NLCS)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. '95 Angels

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. '93 Phillies (World Series)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. '88 Mets (NLCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. '86 Angels (ALCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. '86 Red Sox (World Series)

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. '84 Cubs (NLCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. '78 Red Sox

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  12. '69 Cubs

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  13. '64 Phillies

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  14. '51 Dodgers (Shot Heard 'Round the World)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Elliotte, refresh my memory. Toronto had a 3.5 game lead with how many games left?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No... was the last week.
    10 days actually, because if the Tigers had lost the last game in Toronto, they'd have been done.

The two teams would square off in seven hard-fought games during the final two weeks of the season. All seven games were decided by one run, and in the first six of the seven games, the winning run was scored in the final inning of play. At Exhibition Stadium, the Tigers dropped three in a row to the Blue Jays before winning a dramatic extra-inning showdown.

The Tigers entered the final week of the 1987 season 3.5 games behind. After a series against the Baltimore Orioles, the Tigers returned home trailing by a game and swept the Blue Jays. Detroit clinched the division in a 1-0 victory over Toronto in front of 51,005 fans at Tiger Stadium on Sunday afternoon, October 4. Frank Tanana went all nine innings for the complete game shutout, and outfielder Larry Herndon gave the Tigers their lone run on a second-inning home run. Detroit finished the season a Major League-best 98-64, two games ahead of Toronto.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Still in absolute shock that the Mets fell apart in the fashion they did. I actually thought they would get in the post season. Absolutely awful! And thanks to their meltdown, I lost my baseball pool.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Up 9 in mid-August to down 8.

The 1969 Cubs.

I think you have to factor how much the clutch-up hurt the franchise. The Cubs are still waiting to play in the WS. At least the other teams (Yanks, Mets, Phillies, Boston) all tasted some type of success prior to or after the collapse.

5. boots

boots New Member

What's that phrase, Shit happens!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Please keep the language clean or take it to PM.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Armchair, I believe it was 7 games left to play (If someone else can confirm this). I got the following from the Toronto Star:

"On the second last Saturday of the season, the Blue Jays took a 1-0 lead into the ninth, threatening to take
    a 4 1/2 game lead on the Tigers with six to play. Instead Kirk Gibson tied it with a solo off Tom Henke-then won it with an RBI single in the 13th. Jays went on the lose their final seven, with Detroit clinching at home on the final day."

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

With 10 games to go, Toronto led by 1/2 -- as the two teams opened up a four-game series in Toronto.

The Blue Jays won the first three to go up by 3 1/2. In game four -- I can remember this as if it was yesterday -- Jim Clancy had thrown just 77 pitches over 7 innings, and led 1-0. He was dominant, but Jimy Williams took him out for Tom Henke to start the 8th. Kirk Gibson homered off him in the ninth to tie it. Darrell Evans hit another in the 11th; the Jays tied it before Fred McGriff flew out with two outs and the bases loaded.

Gibson's RBI single in the 13th won it.

So it was 2.5 with six games to go for Toronto, seven for the Tigers.

The Blue Jays had another problem: George Bell's protection in the lineup went down. Tony Fernandez -- who hit third -- fractured his elbow on a Bill Madlock takeout slide during the aforementioned Detroit series. Ernie Whitt -- who hit fifth -- suffered a rib injury breaking up a double play in the opening game of the Milwaukee series and didn't play again. By the end of the season, Sparky Anderson was rolling the ball to Bell knowing he would swing at it. And he did.

So, after that loss to the Tigers, the Blue Jays were swept by the Brewers. Detroit split four with Baltimore. So, when the final three-game series began in Motown, Toronto led by one. On Friday, with my buddy listening to his Walkman radio while we attending Yom Kippur services, the Tigers won 4-3. On Saturday, Manny Lee made the error (ruled a single by cheesy Tiger stadium scoring) that gave Detroit a 3-2 win in 12, ruining Mike Flanagan's 11-inning start.

Sunday was the 1-0 Frank Tanana over Jimmy Key gem, with Larry Herndon hitting the division-winning homer.

That's the biggest regular-season collapse I've seen in my lifetime.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ahhh, The Terminator... Mitch Williams before his time...

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The 1964 Phillies' collapse is what really killed Gene Mauch. Lung cancer was just the scapegoat. With 12 games left, the Phillies blew a 6 1/2-game lead, and that -- coupled with Mitch Williams -- is why Phillies fans find breathing easily difficult in September and October.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Since I saw it I'll go out on a startling thin limb and say the 1986 Red Sox. This wasn't a choke over several months, weeks or a few days. That's a slow strangulation. The Sox took just a few minutes. You can't get any more decisive a gag then having the other team down to its last swing, as the Mets were in Game 6, and then all but handing them the game and the championship in the blink of an eye. And, like a baseball down the throat, the Sox took a lead in Game 7 and blew that, too.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not sure how the '88 Mets, '93 Phillies or '03 Red Sox ended up on this poll, but typical. ::)

AQB, of course, nailed it in the second post. 1964 Phillies in the Regular Season Bracket, with the '07 Mets a close second, and 2004 Yankees in the Postseason Bracket.

Let me also throw out a few way-back contenders:

1934 Giants -- Up by 5.5 games with 16 to go. But the Cardinals won 14 of 16, including three of four from the Giants. New York ended the season on a five-game losing streak. The hated Dodgers knocked them out of the first place on the next-to-last day of the season and then beat them again in the finale to clinch the pennant for St. Louis. The Dodgers were still fuming from manager Bill Terry's infamous response to a prognosticating reporter in spring training, "Is Brooklyn still in the league?" :D

1938 Pirates -- Up by seven games on Sept. 1. Lost 8 of 11 to begin the month and lead was down to 2.5. Meanwhile, the Cubs were winning 10 in a row and going 21-5 in September. The Cubs swept Pittsburgh in three games Sept. 27-29, the middle one famous for Gabby Hartnett's "Homer in the Gloamin'" in the bottom of the ninth to win 6-5 and put Chicago in first place for good. The Pirates then lost 3 of 4 to Cincinnati to finish 2 games out.

Draft saved Draft deleted