1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigger story: Appy State or Boston no-hitter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Sep 1, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

No, I'm just indifferent about the NFL. I love baseball, the NHL, college football and college basketball but wouldn't miss the NFL if it went away.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

With its French origin, it should be Lou-E-ville

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Fox Sports Radio (I was out of range for ESPN radio) kept calling it App-a-lach-i-an (long a in the lach) on Saturday. Got sort of annoying.

4. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

So how many St. Lou-E Cardinals games have you seen?

Origins mean little when it comes to current-day pronunciations.

It's Ver-SIGH in France but Ver-sales (home of Woodford Reserve) in Kentucky.

5. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Yes, it was a great upset, but to me, it wasn't overly surprising. It was bound to happen sooner rather than later - look at how the top teams in the lesser conferences have been able to knock off BCS teams in the past few years. And Michigan was vastly overrated - most anyone in Michigan would agree they weren't preseason No. 5. And in 2005-06, App. State was only trailing in Baton Rouge vs. LSU 14-0 in the fourth quarter before losing 24-0, and in 2003 Western Illinois visited LSU and was ranked No. 2, 3 or 4 in I-AA and only trailed the Tigers 13-7 until there were 5 minutes left in the third quarter. Final of that one was 35-7. And lets not forget Troy State, which just moved up to I-A a few years ago, and only lost 24-20 to LSU (last year? 05-06?)

Point is, these top I-AA teams have as much speed and talent in their starters as does any I-A team, because A, they can still offer 62? scholarships, and top-level kids fall through the I-A cracks for various reasons, mostly because they "don't project" body/size-wise, which we know is an unpredictable factor (ie, Doug Flutie, Dave Meggett, Earl Boykins, etc etc etc). Look at where the best receiver in NFL history and one of the greatest running backs in NFL history went to college for proof.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's great. And what do all those I-AA teams that came close have in common? They lost.

I don't know which drunk Boston looser fanboy thinks that some joker's no-hitter (what, the third of the year??) is better than the most surprising college football result of all time, but let us know when you yak off your hangover.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I agree with the "No-hitter was newer."

The Globe that I got in the Green Mountain State didn't have the no-hitter. (As I expected).

Everyone who watched SportsCenter Sunday morning knew about Appalachian State. Some didn't know about the no-hitter, which was bigger than normal because 1. He was a rookie in his second game, and 2. It was the Red Sox.

Ooops. Now I sound like the Michigan fan. ;)

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

My sports editor is from East Tennessee, and my dad went to grad school at East Tennessee State. They said nobody up there says "Appa-LAY-shun" or "Appa-LAY-chun." Just "Appa-LATCH-un." I hate it when people say "Appa-LAY-shun." Just like when people say "BAT-TAWN Rouge."

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

True that, Dargan. And I'll never, ever respect the Illinois pronunciation of Des Plaines (River) as "DESS-planes." It should be "day-pleh" or "plenn"

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I was gonna say:

That would be me.

It's not necessarily *bigger*, but it's the lead because it happened eight hours before, not 15.

OK, I just realizedI *am* arguing from an East Coast perspective.

Many papers out here had little on the no-hiter because it happened so late. I just realized that on the West Cost, it was over at 8 p.m.

Mea culpa.

Draft saved Draft deleted