1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Anyone got Dave Matthews new album?

Holy shit, there are some very good songs on there.

Carter Beauford is neck and neck with Neal Peart as the best drummer ever I have ever heard, IMO.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

New? Hasn't this been out for two months or more?

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

New/newest.

I did a search and didn't find anything.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Great album. Came out in June.

ABC/ESPN has been playing the hell outta some of the tracks, using it as bumper music during college football coverage.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Don't bring your gun into Big Whiskey or Gene Hackman/Little Bill will kick your ass like he did with Richard Harris/English Bob.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This might be the best studio album DMB has produced.

Their live shows have been electric this year. They're pouring their grief over LeRoi's death into the music. There have been some legendary shows this summer.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

LeRoi was an incredible musician.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I went to the opening show at MSG and I'll be attending in Philly (well, actually beautiful Camden, NJ) on Saturday night. Love the studio album but I probably liked Busted Stuff better with versions of Grey Street, Raven and Bartender.

Chef could be right about Carter Beauford, too. Tremendous energy from backstage.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is the first DMB album I haven't bought ... sad to say, but I've kind of outgrown the sound, and it was starting to go that way thanks to "Stand Up." Wasn't a huge fan of that record. Still say "Before These Crowded Streets" was DMB's best studio album.

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Cosmo,

Sorry to see you haven't picked up this DMB album. It is a masterpiece.

Do yourself a favor and pick it up. Just give it a try. It opens with a track laid down by LeRoi before his death. Just LeRoi and his sax. The song ends and then the album smacks you in the face with "Shake Me Like A Monkey." It's like the band has awoke from grieving LeRoi's death. It also feels like an apology for Stand Up and Everyday. Right away you can sense the band washed those albums away and they're saying, "We're back!"

Their live shows this summer have been amazing. I've been to a couple and they blew me away.

If, like you say, you've been a DMB fan, but you've outgrown the sound... a few listens to BWGGK and you'll remember why you loved this band in the first place.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've got a football road trip this weekend, so I'll probably give it a chance and download it off iTunes.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

You won't be disappointed, Cosmo. Big Whiskey is light-years better than Stand Up. I didn't care for Everyday when it came out, but it grew on me over time.

The sound on Big Whiskey is HUGE!

Draft saved Draft deleted