1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Tobacco to smokers: Bend over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No doubt, this will save thousands of lives.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

One thing a price increase does is discourage young people from starting to smoke. If it does that, I'm all for it.

I was a heavy smoker for about 12 years, then quit for good before my daughter was born about 20 years ago.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent point, OTD. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. The best way to beat the addiction is to never start in the first place.

Glad to hear you have been able to quit for good.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then you have a death wish. You admit there are facts and the prices are high and going higher. You're worse than some dumbass in a trailer park who never watches the news and never goes to a doctor. You intentionally ingest poison because you have no self-discipline.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Wow, really?

I am openly admitting my extreme addiction to nicotine and you call me names and make assumptions about me and tell me who and what I am.

Whatever helps you sleep better at night, Hondo.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How anyone in this day and age can still smoke, I'll never know...

I have more sympathy for heroin addicts.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This is the part in the Western movie where the shopkeepers start closing their shutters and peeking through the windows. :)

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, not really.

Damn, hondo, other than being insulting, what did you think that post could possibly accomplish?

Better yet, don't answer. This is a useful discussion. We don't need the trolls getting it locked.

Edit: That goes for you, too, Mizzougrad. Please be constructive or insult people elsewhere.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I don't want you or anyone to have sympathy for me. But do realize that it is an addiction.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a disgusting, costly habit.

If in this economic age you're spending $5-$10 a day on cigarettes, you have serious problems. I'd be saying the same thing to people who spend that much at Starbucks every morning.

At least a coffee habit doesn't impact people around you.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I have an addiction that I have not yet been able to break.

And in the daily course of my day, my smoking habit does not affect those around me.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yes... this has been an interesting thread... PLEASE lets not get it locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.