1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Shock: NBA refs favor home teams, and those facing playoff elimination.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 4, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Remember this one from two years ago, suggesting there was a racial bias in the way referees called games?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2007-05-02-nytimes-study-refs_N.htm

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

... and teams from New York, Los Angeles and Boston when they're facing small-market competitors in playoff series.

4. DanOregon

Actually the study disproved THAT premise.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, because LeBron's in a small market.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

you know, maybe the teams facing elimination play harder or maybe teams get energy from the home crowd... but to say officials cheat is just getting old. The NBA refs are the best in the world at what they do. Are they perfect, nope. But for an economist to say they cheat and have credibility... maybe the economist should be worried about economic issues...

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How do they know?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The study hasn't been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

YEAH! How's my ecomony doing! Bitches.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You cannot possibly have watched the NBA for the past 20 years and truly believe the officiating is anything but a disgrace. I don't think the study says they were necessarily cheating; the article suggests a link between attendance and favoritism, so maybe it's the psychology of making a quick decision under duress. But the officiating is just piss-poor, whether it's intentional or not -- and with all the unanswered questions about the Donaghy case and Stern's huffy dismissal of any talk about the situation, you really do have to wonder.

11. DanOregon

All I know is when I'm watching the NBA playoffs and I see two teams play five, six or seven times, the least consistent thing game to game is the officiating. Now I realize they bring in new crews every game with different styles and make the teams adjust to the officiating, and it's different from football and baseball, but I just don't see hockey teams getting a third more or a third fewer penalty minutes from game to game like I do a basketball series.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Officials are human beings who get caught up in the emotions of the moment *and* fans who go on about awful reffing are wrong.

Both statements are true.

Draft saved Draft deleted