1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big news in Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Best example of this ever: Buster Olney's "Last Night of the Yankees Dynasty."

Why they win. How they win. And yet remarkable enterprise.

Let's not fall into the trap of thinking that all "enterprise" is about the player whose mother had stage-seven cancer or some arcane issue that's only peripherally related to the sport.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Maybe that's a sign of what people actually want?

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I politely ask: Can the threadjack end now or go else where? I'm checking this thread when I see there's an update, hoping for new information on the buyout situation, and I'm reading about how to cover a goddamn game. No doubt a topic worth debating/talking about, but please move it to another thread ....

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I wish we could keep the high school writing crap off this thread, because right now, I could care less about a high school gamer as opposed to seeing the demise of the Ann Arbor News and Booth Newspapers in general.

Anywho ...

JC ... thanks for the blogging to keep us AANews alums up to speed. I just don't know what our friends in Ann Arbor are going to do. This really has me upset.

While things here in SoFla are far from perfect, it sure sounds like the Herald/Sentinel/Post are in much better position that many papers around the country (thank God for tourism ads and old readers loyal to newspapers). It's funny to watch/hear what's going on in SoFla and compare it to what's happening in Michigan. I hope my collegues at the Palm Beach Post read this string and are thankful for what they currently have and quit complaining about how things used to be.

5. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Amen, Igot

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Here's the latest, fresh off a blog.

http://freefromeditors.blogspot.com/2008/11/buy-out-news-at-booth.html

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I apologize for the threadjack. It was my fault. I posted what I did to show an example of what can happen when a paper switches to printing an hour or more away from its city. Maybe there's a good thread to be started about the issues papers face when they do these kinds of things.

Again, sorry. I didn't mean to divert any attention away from the serious goings-on in Michigan. I wish everyone there well, and I look forward to more good info here.

Good blog links. Thanks.

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I think it was, at least in a few of the markets I've worked.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Reading through all of this it sounds like Booth is rolling all of its Michigan papers into a single-state version of USA Today.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From the http://freefromeditors.blogspot.com/2008/11/buy-out-news-at-booth.html blog:

"There is also a corporate strategy to increase the cost of the paper while looking at cutting back subscribers to a basic core readership."

What does that mean?

God, I feel for my friends at Booth. I'm so glad I'm out of the state now.

Good luck.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

This is so frustrating. I understand the financial difficulties, but doesn't gutting the product and compromising the journalism pretty much ensure failure?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That in some twisted, fucked up management logic, the best way to make more money is to get people who are already buying the product to stop buying the product?
    Do these people ever stop to listen to themselves? We say this about a lot of businesses these days, but how do people who come up with such wacked-out ideas ever ascend beyond a job title of "janitor's retarded assistant"?

Draft saved Draft deleted