1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big news in Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2008.

1. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I believe our job as reporters is to provide new, relevant, newsworthy information to our readers. I just don't agree that reporting the facts from a live event is any less important than that of hard-breaking news.

And to be honest, I think more readers care about the game story than the in-depth projects we put so much work into. At least that's the feedback I've received since I've been in the business.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When you consider who the CitPat pub is married to, it isn't really that surprising.

3. man, you guys kill me

writing half of a high school game story ... in advance?

is this entire board composed solely of foofs?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I can only halfway agree with you there Slappy. In good games there are always a few PXP nuggets to write about. Like odd plays, big comebacks, a game-winning drive, or something else out of the ordinary.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here's my question:

I don't know the difference in living in the two towns because I haven't been to them, but you say in your blog post they are two hours apart.

If a copy editor has their job moved 2 hours away, is the company going to help with moving expenses? I'm sure the answer is no.

So, the company has a "no layoff" pledge, but in reality they are doing layoffs. They have to know if someone has a family, they aren't going to take their kids out of school, sell their house and move 2 hours away on a moment's notice.

Even if you don't own a house, most people have leases with their apartment and it costs a lot of money to break those.

This whole situation is bullshit.

I guess I should be glad my chain only owns smaller papers near us.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm with you. I read this thread and shake my head in dismay.

7. I'm sorry, but this is preposterous. A high school gamer is more important than a city hall investigation? Puh-leeze. I believe what we do is as important as anybody else, but let's not get crazy here.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

If you're writing a game story five days in advance and then putting in the score, that ain't a game story. It's an advance. It's also a piece of crap.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hate to say it, Glen, but he didn't say it was "more important." He said, "More readers care about ..." And you know what? Depending on the market, and sadly if you want to go that way, he very well might be right.

10. And if we put Paris Hilton on A1 every day, every newspaper in America would be saved.

We have to be careful how much stock we put into what "readers care about."

And the problem with prep sports is that those readers stop caring as soon as Johnny Jr. has graduated and moved onto a job at the local Jiffy Lube.

11. Don't get me wrong here. It is ridiculous to expect reporters to write stories at halftime. And doing things right is no less important when covering a high school game as it is when covering city hall.

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

To clear up some confusion: I wrote that in my experiences more readers seem to care about Podunk High's football gamer than the in-depth sports projects we work on.

Didn't say anything about city hall. The comment was about writing for sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted