1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Big Love"is Back! Discuss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beardpuller, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Other than occasionally hauling a squalling toddler around like a prop a-la Sarah Palin, none of the adults on the show have acknowledged any of the kids other than the oldest 3 since the first season.

The first three points: Plot points they just flat up and forgot about.

It's actually kind of ridiculous: HBO and Play-Tone are usually known for high-quality productions, you would think somebody along the food chain would have blown a whistle and say, "you gotta get some of this shit under control."

Supposedly the ratings have been pretty good. I'd love to see how much of that is due to lead-in viewers from "Band of Brothers." That's the only reason I didn't pull the plug on "Big Love" three or four episodes into the season.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, there was the one episode in the middle of Season 2 involving Wayne going to Catholic school.

And it's interesting how Marge has gone from "Can't do a simple household chore" to "successful businesswoman".

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The thing that bugged me the most is they never developed the JJ storyline at all and then suddenly in the final episode they drop this making babies from each other thing in without really explaining it all that much.

Plus, I have to say the Margene character this season was asked to do so many ridiculous things that none ended up being believable. I think Barb's storyline was a good one: She agreed to the whole we'll all live together as polygamists thing and even went along with the fourth wife and the baby thing until she finally, I think, realized that Bill has gone off the deep end when he fathered the child prior to his marriage to Anna. She finally sees him as he is and has been all along, a selfish guy who just uses his religion to do what he likes. And she's had enough.

And Nikki's character was fascinating this season, I thought. She finally saw what was out there in the world and how her screwed-up upbringing had prevented her from knowing much about that. I actually thought what they'd do in the finale is have all of them leave him. That would have been fantastic; him standing up there with no one. But I guess they just can't do that on TV.

4. BTExpress

I thought for a second maybe Barb would not join them on the podium. But that would have been too good.

Do the writers really believe "We must conceal our polygamy" can morph into "We must show who we really are" just because Bill is a public official now? Especially when the people who just elected you feel lied to and betrayed?

The show had some semblance of believability in its early days. Writers even went to great lengths to learn about Mormon faith and customs (wearing the garments, etc.). Now it has stretched every believable boundary.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Excellent take. That gets to my question, kind of -- if they did that, where would they go? Get him new wives from Juniper Creek?
    My wife has always felt Barb was a "normal" person -- maybe the only one on the show -- who went along with this initially because she thought she was dying of cancer and wanted help for her husband and kids.
    Now Barb sees it as Sissy Spacek laid it out in the finale -- Bill uses his religion as an excuse for fucking around. Hard to see how she stays in the fold now.

6. BTExpress

Barb didn't mind Bill being selfish and wanting to fuck around when it was to HER benefit ("The Affair", Season 1).

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i like the theory that goes, "in episode 1 next season, bill turns over in bed to tell barb about this bizarre dream he had about running for office, winning and outing the family." ;)

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Pretty hypocritical from a guy who bemoans the mention of anything political whenever the complete and utter fail of the current administration is mentioned.

9. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Leave Rhonda out of this ;D

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I pretty much agree with all the comments. I do have to tell you that I that the final scene when Bill comes clean was pretty powerful, especially the steady stream of people that just got up and left. You felt the awkwardness.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Bagelchick, I would have agreed had the wives not lined up in their new red, white, and blue suits. So dopey.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Carry on.

[​IMG]
    [/quote]That looks a lot like an admission that you're a big hypocrite when it comes to crying about politics being discussed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted