1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Lead sez - Marc Spears from Globe to Yahoo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 6, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Always have enjoyed his work. Congrats on the move.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're kidding about that, right? You can't imagine anyone wanting to go there anymore?

Yeah, you're kidding. You have to be.

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

And really, that's probably a good thing. The Interwebs has made turned those beats into esoterica.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You can't do a pro beat with only one person, though, so someone at the Globe will move to the Celtics-NBA or they'll hire someone (much less likely).

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't know. If you're NBA team is the biggest game in town, and your NBA columnist is interesting, there's definitely room for them.

Obviously, in this day and age, cuts have to come from somewhere. But there are some markets I can think of where an NBA columnist is still essential.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

And also, there's that.

7. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

I was wondering why he wasn't in Orlando for the summer league.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Marc's a good guy and a great reporter. Yahoo! is assembling quite the NBA coverage team, with Wojo and Johnny Ludden also on hand.

9. dcdream

dcdream Member

word is.. by a miracle... the globe is replacing spears and hiring outside.

10. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

I can see someone wanting to make the jump to the Globe, but with rumors of a big buyout once the paper get out might scare off some big names. I don't see them getting another Spears for the gig. I can see them getting someone from "the minors" for a few months, then gets laid off when they don't get their buyout numbers.

In fact, I'm sure other than the big Yahoo! check, it was a factor in Spears deciding to leave - last one in is usually the first one out in those forced layoffs. He already had to take a paycut to work for the Globe, who's to know what will happen once they get bought?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've known Spears since he was covering the Angels. I think that was four or five papers ago for him.

You can't cover a pro beat with one writer, but he definitely would have been at risk (as would everyone there) if The Globe had a round of layoffs.

I just have to stand and applaud those who were able to jump from a paper to a website and wish I had been able to do the same. ;D

12. dcdream

dcdream Member

you need to read the union contract...just because you are the last hired.. you are not the first layoff.. there could be provisions in contract to prevent that from happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted