1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big fire in Philly?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was watching the Phillies-Mets game today, and sometime around the sixth inning they showed a huge column of smoke off in the distance. It looked like a huge fire, but something happened in the game before they mentioned it and it was never shown or brought up again that I can remember.
    Also looked on Philly.com and a couple of TV stations' web sites and didn't see anything. Anybody amongst the Philly or South Jersey SportsJournalists.com crowd see or hear anything about this today?

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

There are weird, huge smokestack things with open flames down in that part of Philly. I don't know what they arem but I've never seen them in any other place. That might have been what you saw.

3. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

That's probably from the oil refinery. There's a Sunoco (I believe) oil refinery not far from the stadium.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Back in 1974, there was a huge fire on the Philly docks that was caught on live TV during a World Football League game. Since it was the WFL, more people saw the fire in person than on TV.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This didn't look like a refinery or smokestack. It wasn't like the Oakland wildfire back in 1994 that they were showing during a 49ers game, but it was definitely bigger than a smokestack.

Draft saved Draft deleted