1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big East Expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Piotr, let's wait and see if this actually happens. TCU to the Big 12 and shrinking makes sense, but the Biiiig East might collapse of its own weight before coming into existence.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This thing could really backfire on Boise and SDSU if this New York Daily News story is true (and Dick Weiss has always been a very reputable source). Stuck in the Big East, alienated from the biggest western conference that will have you, and perhaps with no more AQ spot for the Big Weast:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2011/11/reports-bcs-could-eliminate-automatic-qualifying-status-for-the-six-major-conferences

If the Mountain West adds Utah State and SJSU:

Wyoming
    Colorado State
    Fresno State
    San Jose State
    Utah State
    New Mexico
    UNLV
    Air Force
    Nevada
    Hawaii

That's a decent sub-AQ football conference, the MAC of the west, and a competitive hoops conference (Hawaii will be in the Big West in all sports except football). They could play a complete round-robin and fill the three non-conference schedule e with WAC teams for the home games and Pac-12 opponents for decent road paydays with easy regional travel, and even some 2x1s with the bottom half of the Pac-12.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

More grist for the antitrust suit.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I still don't understand how NJIT can afford to play in a conference where they have to fly to North Dakota.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Student fees.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The Big East makes absolutely no sense here - I don't even think adding Boise makes sense.

The league could have put together a better collection of teams in terms of what fits and works.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

All that matters is cable deals and keeping a BCS bid.

It doesn't matter if no one watches SDSU, as long as the Big East can say it has games on the cable systems in Southern California and gets a cut.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If Boise State is doing this just for the AQ bid, they're dumber than I thought.

No guarantee that's even going to be there by the time the Broncos join this potpourri of a football conference.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I think of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, I think of the Atlantic Coast.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Isn't the bid contractually there until 2014? If the BCS tries to pull the bid after that, that's when the court and Congressional fun will begin in earnest

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Air Force staying in the MWC.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bigeast-airforce

Draft saved Draft deleted