1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big East Expansion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Dec 6, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not following, Headbutt

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is SD State at least in East San Diego?

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

College sports out of hand? Where you been?

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There are going to be a lot of softball and volleyball players who are tired of schlepping through airports.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Football only. SDSU/Boise's Olympic sports will get shunted to the Big West or whatever other league out there will take them. If I'm the MWC, I sure as hell don't keep them.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Big East schools will not be flying the soccer, lacrosse and softball teams across the country.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How much revenue, if any, do the non-football Big East schools make from the football TV deal?

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, yab, I think they are in the east part of the city proper, right next to La Mesa and close to El Cajon, which is considered East County. OK, I'm reaching a little bit there.

I guess I'm happy the Aztecs are joining a conference that's supposed to be an automatic BCS qualifier, but it seems so weird and below-board to see them join the Big East. What's more, now the basketball team has become successful and has a chance to build something that lasts, and they have to move into a lesser conference (probably the Big West).

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

UH, SMU and UCF are hardly adequate basketball replacements either. When DePaul and South Florida can complain about watering down the league, you're in sad shape.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

The West Coast Conference is drooling at the potential for San Diego St./University of San Diego basketball match-ups for years to come.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus, looking at that group of teams, is this something really worth fighting for?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Of all the head-scratching stories we read in college sports... the taxslayer.com Gator Bowl, Paterno in a sex scandal, bowls with teams with a combined record under .500; The Big 10 has 11 teams, the Big 12 has 10 teams.... even after all that, the Big East *wanting* San Diego State for football is still the biggest headscratcher.

Nobody cares about San Diego State football.

Their games are not on in Los Angeles.

Why the interest in San Diego State football?

Draft saved Draft deleted