1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Doings in Dallas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. JME

JME Member

I can't possibly imagine the DMN wouldn't have a Dallas Cowboys beat writer. If that's the case, we all might as well give up right now.

2. I seriously doubt they'd stop Jacques from travelling. He's one of the top NFL beat guys in the country. If anything, they'd probably just pull the No. 3 guy off the beat, which wouldn't hurt anything because the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has just two beaters.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bull hockey. And I'm sure a columnist would not want to be burdened by having to get a bunch of game detail into a column, whereas if there's a gamer writer, the columnist can focus on one aspect.

Now, is this a path to the DMN becoming the first paper to give up the print product? That's something I've wondered (and almost started a thread on): which will be the first paper to go all-Net, and how soon is that day coming?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

That "detail" is what makes gamers more and more obsolete every day, especially when you can watch the game on TV, listen on the radio, follow along on the Internet and get analysis out the wazoo 24/7. Any columnist worth his salt would get the details that matter to the reader AND provide his/her own unique commentary.

Your average reader is not going to read a gamer, a column, a notes package, etc. On one hand, corporate often makes draconian cuts for financial reasons, but, on the other hand, there's a lot of fat to trim in a lot of newsrooms, and this is one of those areas.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to the Cowboys. No way in hell they take away the beat writers.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm hearing from a lot of folks now - apparently the Cowboys will be the last or the least affected. Colleges apparently are going to take the biggest hit.

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Wow. I'm stunned.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I disagree wholeheartedly. The average reader appreciates more bells and whistles in the coverage (drive charts, play-of-the-game diagrams, etc.), but you can't take away the gamer. A beat writer on top of his/her game will give you everything that happened in the game with reaction and context (not opinion) that ties the game into recent happenings with the team. And the details of the game are damned important. You could watch the game on TV and listen on radio 20 years ago too; I don't see how all that plus the internet and 24/7 scattershot analysis from so-called "experts" changes the basic function of a gamer. It's still the best way to digest a game one day later, and even in an instant-gratification sports media world, I think there's room for that. Or maybe I'm a 30something going on 70. Sigh.

But I say if you're asking a columnist to get in all the gamer details and then add his opinions and one-liners, you're going to have 40-inch stories that will be completely unreadable. And if you want to get rid of gamers, you may as well get rid of beat writers completely. Maybe that's what DMN is thinking, but if so it's their funeral. Or at least I hope it is, for all of our sake. The job board would get mighty quiet...

9. I'm not. They have writers in Austin, Norman and I believe College Station. But this sucks on many levels.

10. scribbler

scribbler Member

They have writers in Austin and College Station, but not Norman. For a while they had a writer in Lubbock, too.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nothing newsoaoer management does surprises me, but if the DMN drops its beat writer for UT athletics, many subscribers will be seriously pissed. And their reaction will be mild compared to the Aggie subscribers if they pull out of College Station.
    Know the alias for some of those readers? Advertisers.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Good opportunity for the McClatchy people to pump more resources into Fort Worth, maybe start a Dallas edition. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass?

Draft saved Draft deleted