1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Data

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 24, 2013.

1. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I, too, thought this was about an athlete and their somewhat goofy choice of nicknames. I was sadly disappointed.

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'll say U.S. If he were British, he'd be metric.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm calling shenanigans on the Target story.

4. Have a discount card for a grocery store? That's a treasure trove of data.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You might want to close your Facebook account if you commit armed robberies:

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Some of the marketing stuff you get targeted with is actually pretty good and helpful. So, on the one hand, total loss of privacy and civil liberties. On the other hand, cheaper hotel rooms in Vegas.

Tough call.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When you are asked to fill out your name in certain areas, use "King" or "Majesty" and see if that ever pops back up in your spam.

And, yes, every time we slide our card we are being tracked. Some of you have not noticed this yet? Shop at a different grocery store once or twice and see how many coupons the other grocer sends you.

My wife missed a couple local votes, and guess who the Obama supporter wanted to speak with at the house? Not me.

And Target will send you coupons for formula when they "think" you should be having your next child.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, and the side ads on this site are driven by what I had already searched on Google Chrome.

I doubt many of you are getting Disney and Kings Dominion ads, right?

9. Getting a Rackspace ad after I posted about Robert Scoble in another thread, who happens to work for the ompany.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of these programs either, but you get some pretty good & immediate savings by signing up for them.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Theoretically, I don't think Kroger's discount card knows who owns the card. They simply give the card wothout filling out any paperwork. But I'm sure if you use your credit card and the discount card together, they can make that connection.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Did she type in "pickles and ice cream" on her Google search a bunch?

Draft saved Draft deleted