1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts in Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A spokesman for the church is the author of a story announcing an agreement with the church and a Jewish group. At first, the story failed to mention the author's job as a church spokesman. The dateline is misleading since Purdy was in Salt Lake City.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700061961/Jewish-Mormon-leaders-issue-joint-statement.html

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A little more on the same issue, from the Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50205320-76/news-purdy-mcentee-deseret.html.csp

Yeah, it's day 1, and there was a lot of breaking news with all the dominoes falling at BYU, but I do not see this ending well for those left at the Deseret News.

3. That LDS/Jewish story was on Page 1 this morning, same byline, with a tagline at the end saying this "reporter" works for the church. This has been a contentious issue for some time between the two churches, but who needs an independent journalist writing the story when an LDS spokesman can sugarcoat it and get it into print? Sad -- 85 people lost their jobs so the Deseret News could become even more of a glorified church newsletter.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Get rid of those godless liberals and Beck-deniers in the newsroom!

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

A newspaper is a publication.

A publication is not necessarily a newspaper.

:-\ :'(

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good luck to you Idaho. Sounds like you're going to land on your feet. You deserve to.

7. I compete with Idaho on one of the c-football beats in the state. I've told him this, but he's made me a better journalist.....He's my guy, although I would beat his ass in roundball....He needs to stick to bikes...hahaha

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Blocked shot, rebound, post up, layup.

Lather, rinse, repeat

All. Night. Long.

9. Jim Patrick

Jim Patrick New Member

I wish there was a "like" button on here, for Idaho's comment.

10. Please,

I would take on Idaho and you, Mr. Patrick, and beat you both...I was happy beating a fifth grader named "Terrell" at my daughters school 15-3.....I think I'm getting better

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I would have never survived Pocatello is if wasn't for Idaho. And I only had to spend a night or two there...

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I survived five years of Pocatello. You sissy east coasters whining about two nights can stuff a tuber up your ... nose

Draft saved Draft deleted