1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big cuts in Akron

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ohiowriter, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

FWIW, Akron has no stories listed on any imminent newsroom cutbacks (and most papers, even if it's just a brief, have that as a news story when it happens)... I didn't hear about Cleveland or Toledo, either... Anyone w/links?

2. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Sometimes news on this site comes before there are links to provide. The guild in Akron notified their members about the procedure yesterday. 20-25 could be gone. It'll take up to three months, but it's happening. Several in sports, 3 or 4, could be vulnerable.

In Cleveland anyone over 50 and with 20 years of exp. can take the buyout. They've had massive space cuts lately. A strike in Toledo is doubtful.

3. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Ohiowriter,

the schmuck of a governor is on his way out, remember.

4. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

Too little, too late on the gov.

I guess the new bosses in Akron, there's a new publisher that is just taking over but I don't know his name or where he's from, have told all newsroom employees to go out and seek new jobs. Of course, there are no jobs to get. But apparently the goal is to just brush out all the experienced (read well paid) journalists out one way or another.

Akron, Cleveland and Toledo all have strong unions that have gotten them paid relatively excellent salaries in a low cost of living area over the years. It has put them out of whack with other papers across the country. It appears the owners all want to get them in line.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I can't wait for the Blackwell administration.

(You all know damn well this man will do something - ANYTHING - to win. I don't give a shit if Strickland has a big lead, Blackwell is slime and he's got evil geniuses at work for him.)

6. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

I think, hope, newspaper will make a rebound at some point. I don't care how much TV, Internet, adio etc., there is, when it comes to good old fashioned local news, you can't beat the newspaper. The Web is the most worrisome but the paper can survive and thrive if done right.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

When a publisher uses the phrase "a heavy emphasis on local" it usually means at least when sports are concerned -- forget about traveling for anything, including the Browns, and start reading up on your local midget football and Little League All-Americans.

In other words, say good-bye to the Beacon-Journal as we know it and say hello to the Akron Daily Shopper.

9. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I know this is a serious situation, but that line had me LMAO.

10. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

The Beacon Journal as we knew it was gone five years ago when Knight-Ridder made widespread cuts. This is the other shoe dropping.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jeezus H. Christ. How is a feller supposed to latch onto the Plain Dealer now?

And what's with Akron? Usually new owners come in all placating and mollycoddling and then pull the rug out from under everyone.

That's how things are supposed to be done, dammit!

12. ARD

ARD Member

You guys nailed it on the Plain Dealer (from Romenesko today): Cleveland Plain Dealer announces voluntary buyout plan

http://www.cleveland.com/weblogs/business/index.ssf?/mtlogs/cleve_business/archives/2006_08.html#171129

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.