1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Blue channels its inner-Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jul 14, 2008.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Actually, I think I read somewhere a few months ago (the Uniwatch blog maybe?) that Hal and Hank Steinbrenner want to put player names on jerseys next season when they move into the new stadium, a "next generation of the Yankees franchise" type of thing.

I can't wait to see the backlash over THAT.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Now THAT is a horrible idea. Then the replicas would be consistent, though...

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We can't all pull for "it" schools like Vandy, which changes its duds every quarter.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/SPORTS0602/807160401/1036

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Yankee fans (boorish, obnoxious, assholistic, etc.) but they do have a great sense of tradition. Hank Steinbrenner seems like enough of a dimwit that he'd try it anyway, but I can't see the fans letting it happen without a fight.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My first thought too.

The home jerseys are virtually unchanged. Small M logo, reall small on the back of the collar. I am fairly sure the yellow piping is gone. But that pales in comparison to the new road jerseys which look just like WVUS.

Also, the home jerseys look very traditional which is very good. However, I wish they would bring back the embedded M logo on the shoulders as they did in 97. Even if you buy the replica from Nike, with Woodson on the back, they fail to replicate this.

Lastly, the Adidas deal was worth something like $16 million a year. I believe it was two million more than they were making under Nike. Over the course of 10 years, which is the time table they have set to offset the stadium renovations, that is 20 million less they have to spend. Plus they have to completely redo the basketball facilities so the deal is good for them, and the fans.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The more I think about it, they've had some small changes every few years.

Everyone remembers the 2006 piping. But thats gone now. I already mentioned the embedded logo in 97. In the 98 year the white jersey had a M logo on the shoulders. Those have been gone for years. The numbers were actually bigger, and they have had thinner mesh over the last couple of years. They also added the Nike logo on the front over time. I don't believe they had that in Desmond Howard's days.

And who remembers when Lloyd Carr took the team over? He cut out the helmet stickers. Or maybe that was Moeller. Either way, Bo used them. I wonder if RichRod will bring them back. What else, what else... hmmm..

In the 70s the jerseys were friggin huge, but not long enough, the numbers were too long and the players wore knee high socks. No socks now.

In the mid-90s... think Derrick Alexander days, the white road jerseys had numbers on the shoulder pads. Again, these are gone.

So we can't pretend that these jerseys are so old school that they have never been changed. They simply haven't been as traditional as PSU, or ND or Nebraska. Now, don't get me wrong the road jerseys now suck. They look like something out of a Steve and Barry's store... so I'm surprised they don't say wolvereens on the back or something silly.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The numbers weren't too long.. they were cool as hell. It's what made them distinctive.

Draft saved Draft deleted