1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ben's Night Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Apr 15, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There is also a possibility that the NFL has some other dirt they aren't releasing.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair point, and one that wouldn't surprise me. But all we know of right now are two accusations, one of which has been mostly discredited by witnesses.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There might be a small Tiger effect where the aggrieved start to come forth and want their stories heard, too.

I still can't understand why he had a home in Milledgeville.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

oop,

I know it's tough to keep up but there are now 4 separate alleged incidents:

1) Tahoe
    2) Milledgeville - Capital City Bar
    3) Milledgeville - Ben's House
    4) Vegas

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There was a rumor about one in Boston, too, wasn't there? I'm talking about actual accusations of rape or sexual assault. If the NFL is going to start punishing athletes for having sex with women and acting like assholes about it, they're going to run out of players.

Or are you going to take it seriously when a woman says he exposed himself to her, then she agreed on another night to go back to his home and lie on his bed? Come on, Luggy. There are some accusations made against the guy that are very serious. And there are some that are kind of a joke.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There were lots of rumors about Bill Clinton too that all proved false. This is just another which hunt. Maybe Roger Goodell should hire Ken Starr as special investigator.

7. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I'm thinking the NFL has had its investigators on the Roethlisberger case since the day after the Milledgeville accusations surfaced, if not back when the Vegas thing broke. If I remember right, the league has some of the best investigators you can imagine, like retired and former FBI and secret service guys. They will find every skeleton he's got in his closet.

If this is a pattern of misbehavior for Roethlisberger, I'm thinking the league knows all about it, with all the gory details. And if they suspend him for more than 4 games, that would lead me to believe that they uncovered a ton of dirt on him. That's why he won't fight it, because if the NFL wants to make this a truly transparent probe, he'd look even worse than he does now and the Steelers would be forced to dump him.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain if they did any amount of digging they learned quickly that Big Ben is a supreme douchebag.

Seriously, I don't know that I have ever met anyone who has either dealt with him, hung out with him or know him personally that have anything nice to say about him.

He has a horrible reputation around town and it seems to gets worse almost by the week.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe he suffered a traumatic brain injury when he made that Pittsburgh left on his motor cycle.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

To me, that's the one of most striking things about this.

You'd think someone -- teammate, family member, friend, whomever -- would have at least come out and said "Ben is a good guy."

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That woman did something stupid, and she knows it. That's why she didn't come forward. Her brother spoke to investigators as a matter of "background."

I think it was really stupid, what she did. She was probably torn between the very human, very youthful emotions of being flattered by the attention and knowing something wasn't quite right.

I think back to when I was 21/22/23 years old. I did some stupid, stupid shit. I had at least one ... what I think of as a fortunate miss.

Hug your daughters, guys, and try to teach them not to do stupid stuff... but realize they probably will at some point. Pray.

As for our sons? Hell if I know.

12. Lugs, maybe you can help, because I don't get it. Young, attractive woman meets famous athlete at a bar. Famous athlete proves to be a colossal douchebag pretty quickly. Young attractive woman, even if she just wants to hang out and have fun, quickly realizes that famous athlete is not fun to be around. There are hundreds of other guys in the bar, good guys.

Why, why, why, why, why? Why is the quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers so much more impressive than, say, a hotshot young investment banker or architect or surgeon? Fame? Is it really that alluring?

I guess if I ever have a daughter I have to really be careful not to give her the impression that these guys are on a pedestal, even moreso than with my son.

Draft saved Draft deleted