1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ass California Fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can't get any info on it from deep in the hearta'. I do know it's somewhere in the Banning / Pine Cove / Idyllwild area and it's a big ass fire. Four firemen were killed yesterday and it was arson.

Anyone know if those towns are safe?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was talking yesterday with my parents, who live about 30 miles to the west, and it's going up some pretty rugged terrain of Mount San Jacinto and into some bark-beetle infested trees and places where it hasn't burned in about a century.

And with the winds going like they are until probably Sunday, it's going to go for a while.

As for downtown Banning/Beaumont, it does not appear those cities will be forced to evacuate because the fire is south of there and a) the winds are coming from the typical northeast and b) it would have to jump Interstate 10, and that likely will not happen.

However, there has been a lot of development south of Interstate 10 and a lot more homes built over the years. I'm reading where there is about 500 homes that are being threatened.

It appears the fire is going to the west and south. For now, from what I have read, Idyllwild is not threatened. And as it moves south, San Jacinto and Hemet might become affected, but officials have said there's a barrier to be able to stop the fire from getting there. The fire got to north San Jacinto and jumped a highway and was moving toward a landfill, and firefighters said that was good because they could put up a good defense there.

Still, it's not good, and hopefully, it won't be as bad as the Old Fire from 2002, when basically the entire mountains were on fire from Big Bear to Mailibu and Lake Arrowhead nearly was wiped out.

There's a $100,000 reward to bring in the asshole who set it. But they never caught the fucker from 2002. But these firebugs come out all the damn time at the first breath of wind.

Two papers in the I.E. are doing a pretty good job covering the fire and update their sites regularly.

www.pe.com
    www.sbsun.com

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Agreed.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Despite my general dislike of the death penalty, I'm in agreement. I've got a lot of buddies who fight wildfires. They face enough danger with naturally caused fires. No need for them to face an arson-caused one.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hemet?

Holy shit. That has got to be 30-plus miles.

Both the P-E and the Sun are doing a good job of coverage. But I had to go to the Sun to find a map of what the fire coverage area is. Looks like most of Banning, Beaumont and the Pine Country is safe, but I feel for those who have lost so much already.

They will catch this douchebag.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I hope they do catch him, but, again, they never found the guy from the massive fire in 2002 despite a similar reward offer, which is now up to $400,000, including $100,000 from the Morongo Band of Mission Indians.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Artfully updated, Mile.

It's clear this assclown knew what he was doing, since that area is a complete wind tunnel. And if the winds keep blowing and the fire keeps progressing in its path, it won't threaten the heart of Banning, Beaumont or Cabazon, but it will wreak havoc for quite some time, since there's nothing but brush and wilderness ahead.

They can't catch him/hims soon enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted