1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beyonce will be on SI Swimsuit cover

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ellis Redding, Feb 13, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I felt a little queasy. Does that count?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No - but that's a good sign all things considered.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Agreed. Miller is ridiculously hot.

But SI knows its game, and they want to start all the "Well, is Beyonce really hot, or is she too soft, blah blah blah" 'debate' and gin up sales. *Yawn*

4. Boom_70

The SI Swim suit issue used to be about finding the unknown and making them a star. Now they start with the star that some pr flack pushed on them. Lets see Beyonce has a new cd out , a movie- no wonder why she is showing up everywhere.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yep. I like Beyonce, but this is shameless pandering and cross-marketing. But then again, as a guy, I can't really complain about shameless pandering when it comes to the swimsuit issue. ;)

6. That's a good point. It's not like we're talking about the Heisman here. The whole issue is dedicated to scantily-clad women. As long as they're hot, who cares who the choice is?

7. Boom_70

Its pedestrian. You can go to the newstand and find a dozen magazines on any given day with Beyonce. The Swimsuit issue was always unique.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pure marketing genius on SI's part.

The swimsuit issue was not solely made for you guys to sit in the basement and beat off to. It was made to sell magazines. They did their job.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Damn, wicked, I wasn't ready for that reality tonight. :(

It's like I took the wrong pill in the first 'Matrix' or something, and now I've been shown the cold, hard world. :D

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

On this same track, you can go and find a dozen magazines with hotter chicks wearing less than the SI swimsuit models. It's totally lost its competitive edge.

Remember when it used to be a big deal, and you couldn't wait to see it?

Now, I will look at it, but it takes a lot longer to get around to it. It's far behind all the 'lad mags,' etc.

Which is probably why SI went with Beyonce. If we can't have the 'wow' factor, they probably thought, we'll go for the cross-promo angle.

Ellis - Yeah, as long as hot chicks are in there, I really don't
    care who is on the cover. A good call, just like you
    made in the Ralph Fiennes article. :)

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, it used to be, oh, eight pages long. You'd get two photos of Cheryl Tiegs, two of Yvette and Yvonne Sylvander (twins), two of Carol Alt and two of whoever the "unique" chick was.

The only thing unique about it was that it was one of the few times a 14-year-old kid -- like many of us were in the 70s --- got to see some skin.

It's not SI's fault you're not 14 and sporting your first hard-on anymore.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Make me gag. Seriously.

Of course she's airbrushed. There are days when she's so micromanaged that she may not exist at all.

The tune business equivalent of George W. Bush. What a pollyanna. Protected by so many hatchet men and handlers you can't imagine, all so she practice musical misandry, performing songs about rotten, broke man-whores who can put all their belongings in a box and be ritually replaced within the hour. While she dates Mr. Expect Everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted