1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beyonce lip-synched the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 22, 2013.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not more valuable, per se. Certainly there is tons of value in having a reproduction of a great performance — in studio or on stage — to preserve for all-time.

But a live performance also has its value ... and its expectations. One of the expectations is that the performer is physically performing at that moment. That's why lip-synching feels like such a letdown. Because then it's not a musical performance ... it's acting.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Teaser for tonight's news: "Did Beyonce lipsynch the national anthem? A local voice coach weighs in."

Gannett would be proud. Actually, it might be a Gannett station.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No, Gannett would have directed all stories to a voice coach hub.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

If she's such a great performer, she should be able to pull off a single performance of a simple song without a hitch. Otherwise, she's just over-hyped and over-produced.

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I heard they used Lennay Kekua's voice.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or farmed it out to a Citizen Vocalist.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is bullshit. Whitney Houston lip-synched the Star-Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl and everyone is still praising her effort. Beyonce did it at the Inauguration. I don't have a problem with it. I'm more upset that she didn't give my man Crazy Joe Biden a kiss on the cheek.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Love your homage to Lakeside's Fantastic Voyage but NO ONE HAS TOPPED THIS RENDITION.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

We should be far beyond being surprised, no? Wasn't the last live anthem at the SB back in the '70s?

11. Good Lord, people. She is singing on the biggest stage of her career as far as importance goes, arguably. Her audience is the biggest it is ever going to be, and that likely includes her performance at the Super Bowl. Please forgive her if she doesn't want to leave anything to chance.

Tell you what. Anyone criticizing her for doing something that no one knew she was doing until this story broke, Actually singing the song, just not live. I want you to get a call from whatever newspaper you hold in the highest regard. They ask you to write the biggest story of the decade, but you have to do it live, one shot. No editing. Are you game?

Lighten the fuck up people. She sang the song, she just wanted the moment to be perfect.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Lakeside in the house!

Draft saved Draft deleted