1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beware of checking lotto tickets in Ontario

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071219/opp_lottery_071219/20071219?hub=TopStories

Convenience store clerk charged with stealing $5.7 million dollar lottery ticket. Winners were four "ordinary working people from Toronto.

Inspector Paul Beesley says, "I can tell you perhaps they didn't realize they were winners until there was some publicity"

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The whole Ontario lottery scam is old news. CBC broke the story on The Fifth Estate back at the beginning of the year.

3. Cansportschick

Yeah, but it's new news that a clerk stole 5.7 million dollars from people.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Same thing happened out here in BC.
    Shocking that convienence store clerks would be dishonest

5. Cansportschick

I think people should check their tickets before going to the store. Then they would know going in if the clerk is bullshitting them.

Nova Scotia adopted a new system where you have to sign the ticket before giving it to the clerk. Then they put it through the computer and clerk has to show you validation tag from ALC stating what you have won. Also, they have to stamp the ticket if they have paid out the prize to the winner. They staple the validation tag with the claimed ticket.

I think there was a case in New Brunswick where a store clerk won the lotto twice and he was investigated to see if the wins were ligit. Turns out clerk was plain old lucky!

6. Cansportschick

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071219/opp_lottery_071219/20071219?hub=TopStories&s_name=

Pretty much the same story except OLG has said they are going to reimburse actual winners and holding a press conference with winners' lawyer this afternoon.

7. Cansportschick

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071219/opp_lottery_071220/20071220?hub=TopStories

Three of the four winners had originally suspected one of their own had cashed the ticket out.

This story is getting more interesting by the minute...

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My favorite part is the original story says the four original winners were three men and a woman...right next to a photo of the three women and a man.

Great work, writer and desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted