1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beverly Hills Cop 4?!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117954765.html?cs=1&s=h&p=0

I'd like Murphy to be funny again, but Beverly Hills Cop 3 was horrible...

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, the third one was a colossal piece of shit, so why not another one?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Don't be ridiculous...

[​IMG]

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Eddie would play Divine in a remake of Pink Flamingos for a buck. Why are we surprised he's making Beverly Hills Cop 4?

From his IMDB page: "Every bad decision I've made has been based on money. I grew up in the projects and you don't turn down money there. You take it, because you never know when it's all going to end. I made Cop III because they offered me $15 million. That $15 million was worth having Roger Ebert's thumb up my ass."

Sad but true: He's been unfunny for more than half his life now.

Also sad but true: Charlie Murphy is funnier and more relevant.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

His appearance in "Best Defense" is a classic example of this.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That should read "thumb down my ass."

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

This is probably going to get me in trouble. All I can say is that I'm not Boom or Poindexter or Hondo or the ilk...

Eddie, how old are you now? 45, at least? You've been rich and famous almost half your life. I'd buy into this if maybe you'd have just gotten out of the ghetto and were experiencing wealth for the first time. But you're not Young Jeezy. You're Old Eddie.

His rationale is kind of like me going to a grocery store, heading to the juice isle, grabbing as many boxes of Hi-C as possible, running out of the store (knocking several elderly shoppers along the way) and later telling the cops "Hey, look, when I was in kindergarten, we only had one juice break a day. And you never knew if there would be enough juice for everyone."

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but in his, uhh, defense, wasn't "Best Defense" his first big payday?

Kaylee is 1000% correct, but people crying poverty to excuse their classless greed is an act that transcends race. It's why David Wells will go to Boston for $8 mil guaranteed, even though he hates Boston, and wear a PokerStars hat for $100K even though he's made $50 or so million in his career. Money can't buy class, or, in Eddie's case, taste.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it would be just like it. Except for the fact that what you hypothetically would be doing is illegal, you likely had something else to drink at some point later in the day and if we know anything, it's that there was always enough juice for everyone. If you didn't have enough for the class, you didn't get to have any, after all.

The guy admitted he makes movies he doesn't think are any good to make some money. At least he's honest about it instead of going on about his "craft" or how he can't understand how it didn't do well at the box office.

Hell, I'd star in "Stop Or My Mom Will Gum You To Death" with Bea Arthur if it meant a $15 million paycheck.

And for those who say he hasn't been funny for more than half his life, go back and watch The Nutty Professor.

I know he hasn't done much funny work in the past few years (1996?), but that was still a damn funny movie and the sequel wasn't awful.

As long as BHC IV gets an R rating, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If it doesn't, I'll understand he wanted to make some loot to purchase some new purple leather pants.

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Sad thing about it is, Eddie's old standup bits still pop up on the XM comedy station.

Goddamn, that guy can be funny. And his old material still kills today.

There's a void in standup today he could easily fill with a solid comeback. Or he can just leave it to the Dane Cooks of the world. ::)

The guy had/s talent. That's what kills you about the whole thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted