1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better than the old man

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 23, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No way. Anakin would was much more powerful. He just was never the same after Obi-Wan Kenobi performed the triple amputation on him. He would've been the greatest.

2. boots

boots New Member

It's a diferent era. A different coaching mindset. If JB had the coaching that Kobe had, he would've been thought of differently instead of an NBA journeyman.

3. outofplace

And maybe if somebody had taught Bobby Bonds some plate discipline at a young age, he would have been better than Barry.

And did you ever see Ken Norton, Jr. beat up those goalpost pads after a big play? Man, he definitely could have been better than his dad if he'd only gone into boxing instead of football.

More seriously, how many high school superstars have a story like Jellybean Bryant? He would have been the greatest if only...

Sorry. He wasn't. Kobe Bryant is a better player now than his father ever was. He's doing it at the game's highest level. Did he have more help? Maybe. Did he do the work to fully develop his game? Yes, he did. Whatever the reason, at the highest level of competition, there is no comparison....the younger Bryant is a far better player than his father.

4. boots

boots New Member

JB had a serviceable career. Nothing to brag about. He played a lot longer than most and made money. Kobe just went and took the game to another level. However it should be noted that JB showed him things that he probably wouldn't have seen had he not been the son of an NBA player. The same could be said for Bonds.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

W

6. Thanks for stopping by Dwight Schrute.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Two more actors for the "not" category -- the brothers Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez. Neither one comes close to dad Martin Sheen.

Another athlete for the "not" category - Jeff Nettles. Playing in the independent Atlantic League. Will never measure up to dad Graig's greatness.

and finally, the music division of "not" -- Jakob Dylan (Wallflowers) will never match dad Bob in terms of greatness.
    Julian Lennon will also never match or surpass his dad's greatnesss.
    ditto for Sean Lennon, although he might have surpassed his mom Yoko's musical talents already.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

But Luke was better than the old man. He became a very powerful Jedi. I"m such a dork, I shouldn't get into this.
    But, Anakin did have the highest midichlorian count ever, so I guess he may be better. Just took a turn for the worst you could say.

And speaking of Knight, what about coaches? Are there enough to compare.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Did they ever test Luke (and Leah) to see what their midichlorian counts were?

10. outofplace

On that we agree. One reason both Barry Bonds and Kobe Bryant are better than their fathers were is because of what they learned from them. Bonds in particular was forever going to his father for hitting advice until Bobby Bonds passed away.

11. outofplace

I was kidding when I argued above....but what the heck.....

There was no mention of midichlorians in the original trilogy, so they were never tested in the movies. My guess (because I've watched this shit too many times and read some of the books) is that they would have less than the old man.

12. boots

boots New Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Luke Walton or The Barry Brothers.

Draft saved Draft deleted