1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better than anything you'll read in today's newspaper ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, Jul 19, 2008.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Best blog posting ever. Laugh until your sides hurt funny.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll probably end up burning out my eyeballs tonight reading more of this guy's stuff.

World famous sausage stew, indeed.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't think it is. He's said he loves writing so much that he does it as much as he can and in any form. Fortunately for us, he does this on a daily basis.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I've bumped into Chuck all over the world, and he's good people. A really talented writer, too, especially when turned loose to do features and offbeat stuff.

A lot of the stuff, sigh, that newspapers don't seem to have time or space for anymore.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Someone at Baseball Think Factory looked it up and said that the Cardinals only had one walk-off hit in 1952, and it was Eddie Stanky who did it.

I did find a bases-loaded, ninth-inning triple by Musial -- on June 17, 1947, against the Phillies in St. Louis. Have no idea about him being called back to the plate after a missed call, though.

6. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

Well, now you made me go back and read it again, and this anecdote couldn't have happened in 1952 if Solly Hemus was the manager (since he managed the Cardinals from 1958 into 1960). And if Hemus was the manager, then the Dodgers obviously weren't in Brooklyn. Good story and well written, and something like that could have happened, but not in the time frame that was presented.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just how many rbi does hank have?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

2,297 more than Bill James. How many does that make? ;)

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you witty bastard. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted