1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better coach: Charlie Weis or Ty Willingham?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 85bears, Oct 23, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

While pre-season national title darling Notre Dame has stumbled and bumbled its way to a lucky 6-1 mark, setting itself up for another BCS embarrassment, Washington is nicely putting the horrors of the last two years behind it.

Which has got to make you wonder - in the long run, did Notre Dame make the wrong decision two years ago?

2. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Here's the way it works: Right now Weis is a better coach until he loses 2-3 games, then he's the devil. Willingham rebuilds Washington and is a God, until he earns only a both in the Bumfuck Bowl, then they fire his ass too. I'm starting to really resent sports fans' overreaction and underreaction to coaches. Take Dusty Baker in Chicago, two years ago he was the best manager in the league. This year? Cubs fans couldn't wait to run his ass out of town.

Perhaps this is a different thread, but I had to rant.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But Charlie Weis studies film, and devises game plans to attack opponents' specific weaknesses!!! He also makes substitutions to put players in the game to capitalize on matchups!!! He also adjusts his game plans at halftime to adapt to changing conditions!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Of course, Tyrone Willingham never heard of any of that stuff. [/NDlooserfanboys and NBC/ABC-ESPN network shills]

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think Willingham is an excellent coach. He's had the past results to prove it. The man won at STANFORD. He took the Cardinal to the Rose Bowl, remember. I think he got a raw deal at ND, mostly because their fans are like UCLA basketball fans: they have outsized expectations, regardless of the actual talent situation on the field.

Weis proved on the pro level he can run a creative offense (especially when he was accused of passing the ball all the time a few years ago in an effort to impress those who may consider him for a head coching position). And he's helped Brady Quinn become quite a player while winning against a . . . not-so-impressive schedule.

But Willingham won big at Stanford in the BCS era. And Weis did that "look at ME!" bull last week about wanting to stay at ND, when no one was asking. If I were looking to make a hire to build a respectable program longterm, Willingham would be my choice.

I thought Notre Dame made the wrong decision then, and it's the wrong decision now.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You did well.

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Good work. I seriously can picture Colin Cowherd spewing that crap verbatim, italics and all.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's no contest as to who's the bigger asshole.
    C-Dub, that's who.

8. noodles

noodles Member

Guess I missed how many times Weis' Irish teams have been beaten 41-13, 37-0 and 38-0 by the likes of USC, Michigan and Florida State like Willingham's team at ND. Last I checked, Willingham had a WORSE record at Stanford than Bob Davie did at Notre Dame before he was launched.

Willingham fits perfectly at the Stanfords and Washingtons of the college football world, where there's no intense pressure to win - go 7-5 or 8-4 and get a bowl bid and the alums love you.

Remember when the Irish were 6-5 in Willingham's final year at Notre Dame? He said something like the season should be considered a success because the Irish were going to a bowl - the freakin' INSIGHT BOWL. Shows you what his perspective was during his days in South Bend. Notre Dame plays to win national championships, not also-ran bowl games against Oregon State.

So Weis is arrogant? When you're wearing four Super Bowl rings, anybody would be considered arrogant. Let him coach a few more years before we decide whether he's worth it.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fine. Let's see how long it takes for the knives to come out the first time fat boy goes 8-4.

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

There is intense pressure to win at UW.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Notre Dame should pray to God it never plays Oregon State again after the two ass-kickings it received both times they did meet.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You are correct. I think people forget just how good UW was in the 90s and before Slick Rick screwed the program.

Draft saved Draft deleted